Safety off too many times - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigbear

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Safety off too many times

Tons of action so far. So opening day my father in law and I killed a double early.

Monday I hunted by myself. Found a gobbler around 9:00. He answered good and I was not in a great place. Safety off waiting and he busted me turning my head a little. About twenty minutes later I get two more gobbling a short distance down over a hill. They are definitely coming. Safety off. They're gobbling good and cutting the distance and a third bird gobbles above me. The two below come into some brush below me and I can see their heads but no shot. All three are close to me for quite a while but no shot.

Tuesday with father in law. Trying to get him one and not really wanting to burn my last tag. Three come into a field and safety off. They strutted around forever. They were at about 50-60 yards and drifting away. So I call and a fourth bird hammers right beside me. My gun is down across my legs when my f-i-l shoots. No luck

Wednesday by myself. Got close to one on the roost. He answered a few times. Hit the ground and hammered back. Safety off. I see him at about 80 yards. Standing and strutting. He starts working my way but skirts around just out of range. Went to a second property and hit another gobbler. Cut the distance quickly and, you guessed it, safety off. Walking right at me gobbling. Probably could have killed him. Crossed left to right around 50 yards and got behind blow down. Hoping for him to follow the path and he turned and walked away gobbling for the next hour and three more set up. And no shot.

Happy for all the action but I have never been so close so often without rolling one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hear that. The one I killed today was the 8th one I've had inside 50 and the first one I've squeezed the trigger on. At least you're in the ballpark and not struggling to even hear one.
PAlimbhanger likes this.

I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:20 PM

Same- I have yet to go out on my own. But I always carry a gun.
- Md opener I was calling for a buddy. He was 30yds in front of me. Gobbler was 150yds in front of me. Out of know where a bird appears 10yds away from me. Never made a sound. Gun beside me. Slate call and striker in my hand.
-Monday calling for buddy. We are both sitting on a gas line. He is 20yds in front of me. Gobbler is 1000yds down the gas line but “hot”. The bird decides to take a short cut thru the brush and come out 15 yds away from me who is sitting in a bush due to lack of tree’s. I can see the gas line but not anything clear any where else. Now my buddy has no safe shot and I don’t chance a shot thru a bush. With low visibility. 2 very close calls. No shots fired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page