April 30th Day 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

April 30th Day 3

Heading to a different area this morning with a friend of mine hopefully things will get better. Good luck all and be safe!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Let the dog out a bit ago and it looks like the first real nice morning of the season.

Good luck to all who go out, and by the way......work still sucks.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 05:20 AM
New Arrival

We are out in 2f this morning looks like it is going to be a good morning very quiet this morning good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:16 AM

Got longbeard #1 in 5A. Shot at 6:13. Tons of birds making noise on public ground today.
SlickShot likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:23 AM
Banned

Had a big one strutting all around in front of the decoys this morning between 65 and 80 yards. Gobbled his head off. His hen came right by me.
He wouldn't come any closer. He was there from Fly down til 724. Then just went back into the hollow.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:00 AM

Hot morning had 3 going and this young fella got one
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 49286_1556629243585.jpeg (566.1 KB, 31 views)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:40 AM

Spot 1 was a bust...someone beat me there despite it being within walking distance of the house.

Ran to my next option. Got there just as it was gray light.

Threw my decoys out and sat down. Didn't hear anything but after a wet night I figured they'd be coming to the field.

I barely sit down and a fisher charges the decoys. Winds me or doesn't think they are edible and runs off.

I give a few yelps and a bird hammers to the north...I think lol. Few minutes pass and give another couple yelps. Yep that's a gobble and pretty sure he's to the north. First gobbles of the season!

Time for the silent treatment.

He gobbles a few more times. Then I think a different bird gobbled to the South.

After a while I call again. Short gobble to the South.

3 birds appear...from the East out of property I can't touch. Lol. 2 hens and a gobbler. Now his gobble sounds a lot better. I give him a few yelps. He starts breaking from the hens. He closes some distance then starts pointing back towards the hens. I cutt at him and he fires a couple off and he stands there. He starts the turkey trot and here he comes.

Get the gun up and hammer back on the flintlock....he trotted by within 15yds. As I'm about to dump him I see the little nubby bushy beard. Look at the legs and bumps.

I decided to let him walk.

Came back to the first farm....other guy was long gone. I've never hunted here but there's been a group in the back of the field every evening. Setup and one gobbled a good ways off on his own. Gunna give it a while and see what happens. I am on the property line and can't go after him.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Me and my buddy got in early where the birds were roosted yesterday morning. Dead silence. Around 7 a mouthy hen wanted to talk so we did. She pulled two unidentifiable boys to here. They came in silent from our right but were on the other side of a little rise in the terrain and we could only catch glimpses of their heads as they made their way toward her. So they get a pass. Buddy had to call it a day around 10. I went back in behind the house and had one go off around 11:15. Got set up and he closed the distance. Safety was off and I thought for sure he was on his death walk. He was close enough that I could "feel" his gobble but never laid eyes on him. He just wouldn't crest the bench I was on. He continued making a racket and parralled that bench until quitting time. Great day in the turkey woods. I'm on my own the rest of the week so I'm gonna just work the birds behind the house. I'm thinking tomorrow and Thursday they're really gonna be fired up with this warm-up coming.
SlickShot likes this.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Last edited by GermanHillHunter; 04-30-2019 at 01:18 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 02:23 PM

Got one this morning, had 4 long beards come marching in to my decoys around 8: 30 and as they pranced around. I had my 20 ga. Mossberg with a Pro Diamond Scope checking out their beards, all had nice ones, so I picked out the one with the longest and let him have it, After he fell and was flopping, the other 3 jumped on him for a second and then continued fanning out and walking around my inflatables before they decided leave. Ended up with a 20lb, 10.5 beard and 1 1/4 inch spurs. Couldn`t be happier.....

I would post some pics but can never figure how you guys do it.... Perhaps I`ll figure it someday...
hunter-trapper21 likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:02 PM

I hunted today from 10:15 AM til quitting time, was able to sneak out a couple hours. First trip out, wasn't able to get out opening morning.

At 11 I struck one up across the hollow. At one point I thought there was one on my side also, but I wasn't sure. I'm never great at pinpointing them until they sound off a couple times. He would gobble once when I would really cutt hard, but he wasn't too worked up. It took me 3 goobles before I felt I had him somewhat pinpointed. This hollow is pretty wide open so my only play was to try to circle way around him, even though I jogged half the way it was 11:50 before I got setup within 200 yards of where I thought he was. Again I didn't think the terrain I could get much closer. Nothing doing the last ten minutes.

Hoping to go after him before work tomorrow. Otherwise this Saturday may be my last hurrah until the end of the month, the work calendar for this season is just awful and I have a couple fishing trips planned. Story of my mostly unsuccessful spring turkey career.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page