Shooting a Righthand Shotgun Lefty. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shooting a Righthand Shotgun Lefty.

Well with my Ohio rode trip coming up in a few days and Pa season this weekend I've had a dilemma on how to harvest a turkey. Three months post shoulder surgery and I'm no where near were I had hoped to be. I bought a 50# Elite Energy to turkey hunt and can't hold it at anchor set at 42 pounds. I have an incision were they fixed a frayed bicep tendon were the stock of a shotgun sets so I figured shooting a 3 inch magnum righthanded wasn't real smart. So I have been practicing shooting my righthand shotgun lefthanded and having no problems hitting a target. Taking the safety off is a little awkward and I have to close my right eye because I'm right eye dominate, but looking forward to this long weekend of turkey hunting.
loridr and cspot like this.

The older I get the better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM
Banned

You can do it, so long as you practice to give you the confidence. If your shotgun has a behind the trigger guard cross bolt safety, just reach over the neck of the butt stock with you left hand and push the safety button.
Pa.Bone likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:13 PM

You`ll be fine Bone, I do everything right handed except shoot a scoped shotgun, rifle and my Compound those I shoot lefty as I am right eye dominant as well. My thumb safety is on the breach, in the heat of the moment when that big bird is sounding of and coming in, I`m sure you will have that safety off and ready.It only takes one shot anyway.....Good Luck this spring and let us know how it went. Here`s hoping that shoulder fells better for next archery season also....
Pa.Bone likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Last edited by SlickShot; 04-23-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:04 PM

Pa.Bone -

If you’re hitting the target in practice, you’re good to go barring any issues getting into “off” positions if you forsee birds coming from odd angles. About all I would recommend is testing yourself with a little bit of twist in your sight picture and ensure you can handle it. You’ll be all set.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will tell you the first shoot left handed about knocked my teeth out, it's a little odd at first getting your face down on the stock and aligning your beads with your left eye. My couple buddies have already killed some nice birds in Ohio and said turkey numbers look good and I suspect Pa. season should be good also. I have some good private land to hunt for turkey in Ohio locally, but plan on trying my luck camping and hunting the big public woods of Wayne National first.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:16 PM

Hey Larry if you wanna borrow my 935 your more then welcome to it. Its ready to go shooting great #’s using hevi shot #7 out of a Kicks GT choke. Its got a thumb release so that will take care of your safety problem. Let me know
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6140 View Post
Hey Larry if you wanna borrow my 935 your more then welcome to it. Its ready to go shooting great #’s using hevi shot #7 out of a Kicks GT choke. Its got a thumb release so that will take care of your safety problem. Let me know
Thanks for the offer Josh, but I'm going to just go with my 870. I've been shooting it lefthanded and doing ok.
jk6140 likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

I actually shot a gobbler a few years ago left handed. It went around behind me and I could hear it walking in the leaves to my right. I held the gun left handed and shot it when it stepped into my sights. I got the bird but it felt like i got punched in the face. Im not sure what happened but my nose and cheek were throbbing for a few minutes after the shot. Good luck on your hunting trip. I remember you saying that you are planning an archery hunt in the northern big woods this fall. It would be a nice time to go turkey hunt and scout for the fall.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Part of the Community

An 870 safety can be converted to a left hand safety. Talk to your gunsmith.

Poke Boater
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:58 PM

Good Luck Bone!! I am hoping to hit Wayne on Sunday after hitting PA on Saturday.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page