Not to hijack the 25 yards from the road thread..... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By JJ4D
  • 1 Post By Takemrarely
  • 3 Post By Fairchild #17
  • 1 Post By SlickShot
  • 2 Post By fall gobbler

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not to hijack the 25 yards from the road thread.....

...and apologies if this gets the popcorn poppers popping, but......

Reading the 25 yards from the road thread and the comments about setting up on the berm, ect, not being a violation or using a vehicle to locate game.

Everyone on here has seen the threads on the legality of stopping and calling during turkey season.

The result is always that this practice is a violation. I get that, and I accept it, but know a lot of hunters who don't.

So, is this legal?

I drive down the road, park, get my gun, walk 30 yards off the traveled section of the road, call.....when I don't hear anything, I decide to try another spot. Unethical, maybe, but.....legal?

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

Don't slab your car door or accidentally hit the horn. I've had turkeys respond to those sounds.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:46 AM

I think the first time you do it, walk 30yds, make a call, dont get a response and move on is fine. It's doing it over and over that the GW's can argue is stalking or unfair chase. Unethical, sure, could call it that. For me, I like to scout, find a good area, and hunt it. I'll move around some, but would NEVER consider driving, parking, walking 30yds, calling and moving on if I dont get a response. That's not hunting in my book.
Juniata4ever likes this.

Previously JJ5C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nor mine.....I guess I should have said, “asking for a friend....”
bohunr likes this.

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:30 AM

My best guess is it's up to the Warden's interpretation. You kinda know road hunting when you see it, and I certainly see a lot of it especially in deer season and more and more in archery since xbows. Driving down the road 3 mph with the windows down. I would not define moving between turkey spots to locate birds road hunting. That's getting a little overzealous. My vehicle is certainly allowed to transport me between hunting locations, so long as I hunt when I get there and don't actively hunt from the vehicle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemrarely View Post
... So, is this legal?

I drive down the road, park, get my gun, walk 30 yards off the traveled section of the road, call.....when I don't hear anything, I decide to try another spot. Unethical, maybe, but.....legal ?
In my OPINION, this would be subject to an officer's interpretation based on all the facts as observed.

For example:

Was the vehicle parked well off the berm, and appears to be parked for a period of time, or was the vehicle still halfway on the road, not locked up, etc ?

Was any wildlife observed prior to the hunter stopping ?

The 25 yard criteria applies to alighting & shooting, not to an individual who has parked his vehicle for an extended period of time, and proceeds to go hunting.

Lots of variables !

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I always find it amusing that you're supposed to drive around with your blinders on.
I have several areas I hit mid mornings that often have birds out in the fields.

I'm going there, I'm hunting there regardless of me seeing or hearing a bird from the truck because I know birds are there.
But, if I see birds from my moving vehicle, I legally can't hunt there? That's just silly.
fall gobbler, jk6140 and SlickShot like this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:45 AM

Parking and walking in 30 yards and then loading and calling is a legal hunt as long as you are not doing it on posted property and you are the required 150 yard distance from a residence.
fall gobbler likes this.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not aware that there's a limit on how many spots you can visit in a morning. Might not be my thing but I don't see anything illegal or unethical about the OP.
jk6140 and SlickShot like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page