• 1 Post By beagler
  • 1 Post By loridr
  • 1 Post By hunter-trapper21
  • 1 Post By USAFRET
  • 1 Post By jk6140

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Kansas Rio Grande Turkey Two'Fer

Last year, I booked my first-ever guided turkey hunt for this week with Misty Morning Outfitters in Alden, KS. I was paired up with a guide named Casey who actually hails from upstate, New York. He's hunted turkeys all over the country and proved to be extremely good at his job and very personable. We hit it off right away and worked very well as a team in the field. It went so well that we talked about a hunting together elsewhere outside of his work and exchanged info.

Long story short, I killed my first two ever Rio Grande turkeys in as many days, making it 5 total birds so far this season. Better still, all were 1-day hunts and I met my personal challenge to kill a bird in all “4 corner states" in the heartland this season: Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas.

I used the same Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 paired with a Primos Jellyhead .660" constriction choke tube that I've used as my shotgun setup all season. The shells were also the same 3.5" Winchester LongBeard XR 2 oz./#6 load used previously. Both birds were shot on successive days at just about 20 yards.

The first came into a decoy spread bristling with fighting purrs on the way past our natural cedar blind within 5 yards. He had his mind on the Jake in the spread, but right when Casey, whispered to take the shot, he either heard or saw us and started to boogie out. At that point, I led him like a pheasant and squeezed one off on the swing. The bird dropped in his tracks and that was that. 10" beard and the longer of two two spurs was right at 1" - pretty nice for a Rio.

The second bird was one of the coolest encounters I've had in a while. We spotted a gobbler feeding very far out with our binos - about 500 yards away. He was moving straight away, so it was just a matter of setting up to intercept him somewhere up the line. We needed to cover a lot of ground, but had the benefit of a long woods stretch for cover and kept tabs on his position as we moved up.

Once we got to a spot ahead of the gobbler, we lost sight of him and waited for him to appear. Eventually, that plan was interrupted when 2 other longbeards came out to our left and slipped behind a cedar patch within 30 yards. I had to slink absurdly slowly over a log to get to a clear shooting lane. The instant I got flat on the ground and retrieved my shotgun on the other side of the log, I see the beard, breast and base of the neck of the first gobbler we were trying to intercept in front of me at 20 yards! Apparently, at some point during our approach, he stopped feeding in the field and moved into the woods to escape the midday heat. Amazingly, his head was obscured by a deadfall log, so I could see him, but he couldn't see me. After a quick assessment to ensure a clear shot, I sent round into the base of his neck. He hasn't been taped yet, but he's definitely a little bit smaller than the first bird. No complaints!

Did I mention that we found a pound and a half of morel mushroom while were out there? Yeah, it was a great time...

Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-23-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You're on a roll! A season to remember for sure.
Six-Gun likes this.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

It sure has been. I managed 5 birds last year, but it wasn’t close to this fast and certainly not across 4 different states. One more bird will make it the best season I’ve ever had.

I’m taking my 7 year old son out for a woods walk with me this morning to my Missouri farm to see if I can bag one with him at my side. I give it about a 10% chance of happening, but getting him interested in turkey hunting will be the biggest achievement of all.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-23-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Frequent Contributor

WTG Six-gun! Fantastic trip your having. Nice birds! Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your little buddy!
Six-Gun likes this.

NRA endowment life member
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:24 AM

Nice!
Six-Gun likes this.

Never Misses
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:00 AM
The Man

Congrats! Looking forward to at least one more success story, this time with your son!
Six-Gun likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Banned

Great job and some great looking birds and country
Six-Gun likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys!

I did get my son out with me to our Missouri farm yesterday. We had to get going late because I was just too exhausted after the 5 hour drive back from Kansas to take us another 2.5 hours back south the night before our woods walk. That led to a 10AM start and it was pretty quiet accordingly. No gobbling at all, but we did see a hen in the alfalfa field, which got him excited.

We also checked out a lot of the other game we have on the place: blue wing teal on ponds, cottontails in the thick woods, alligator snapping turtles and frogs on the creek bank, whitetails, bald eagles, turkey vultures, etc. Making a slow turkey day into a wildlife sighting adventure worked out great and he wants to come back out Friday night to stay in the camper and hunt Saturday. That should be a huge help since we can actually roost birds and hunt them early the next AM. Overall, the trip was a big success.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Awesome, congrats!
Six-Gun likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Great season so far. Congrats!
Six-Gun likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page