Another Turkey Study - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Another Turkey Study

Must say, Mary Jo is doing a fine job keeping up with our Turkey Health. It's good to know that wildlife officials continue to work across State lines to help our beloved Turkeys.

"Also, attached is info on the research. A student at the University of Arkansas' Poultry Health Lab is looking into Eimeria spp. (parasites responsible for Coccidiosis) of turkeys to determine, species present, and if there are drug resistant species being found in wild turkeys. This particular parasite/disease isn't likely to be a major concern, but, this could further provide evidence that there is potential disease transmission occurring from domestic to wild stock.

The researchers are hoping to collect more samples if they're able from states that would be willing to participate. They are hoping to gain assistance from agencies to get the word out to turkey hunters in their states, so, if hunter's are interested in participating they can reach out to the University for supplies."

Thanks.

Mary Jo Casalena, Wild Turkey Biologist
[email protected]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Turkey Study.pdf (162.1 KB, 22 views)

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM
dce
Sage

The effects of west nile in birds has me perplexed.We had some very good grouse populations around here in areas with good habitat and then they just seemed to crash within a year or two.I haven't seen that with turkeys around here.We still have a strong population in most of the areas where I hunt and it hasn't seemed to decrease.Every year I watch at least two or three different broods around my house that were hatched at different times.They're easy to keep track of because each brood is a different size.By the time fall rolls around,each group has almost the same amount of birds as when they started.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page