Just treated myself - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Just treated myself

A present to myself yesterday. I just bought a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam 20 ga for my new turkey gun. I tried to get an Indian Creek 555 turkey choke but couldn’t find one anywhere online. But I did find a Carlson 555 choke tube on eBay so I got it. I’m also putting my Fastfire III on it. So far I have the Federal 3rd Degree 5 6 7 shot to try and east bank has some 7’s he wants me to try. I just forget what the 7’s are for sure lol later on I will have TSS 9 shot. This choke tube I’m getting will withstand the TSS shot. Can’t wait to get shooting!

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 AM

Good for you Moss! Happy retirement friend. Those birds are in trouble this spring.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:29 AM
The Man

Nice treat !.....the 7s are unbelievable in 20 gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Moss: Looks like this present is/will add to the addiction. Hope you have a great year collecting feathers. A few years back I dropped hints for a couple of years that I would like to have a BB's gun to shoot in the base during the winter to work on my trigger pull and to develop good shooting habits when the weather is bad.

No one picked up on by BB gun hints....I guess they though it would put my eye out.

So I took my request directly to Santa. However, again that year no BB's gun under the tree so after the packages were all open and everyone was setting around foundling their gifts I announced I thought I heard foot steps at the door. It seems no-one else heard a sound, so I said it must be for me. I opened the front door and low and behold there are a brand new BB gun setting there. Thank you Santa.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:19 AM

One of my turkey guns is a Mossberg 20 gauge with a Pure gold 570 choke and currently some cheap clamp on sights. I also have a NEF 20 ga. NWTF series with a Tempest 555 and a fast flight III. I went through several different chokes, but these produced the best results thus far.....

They both patterned about the same and I have taken several gobblers with both from 18-39 yds. I tend to use the NEF more because I have the better sight system.

When I retired they gifted me enough money to purchase a Eotech 512 Holographic which I later returned under their recall system and used the money to purchase the Mossberg 500, several chokes and ammo. I am sorry I returned the sight as it worked great.

I am sure the 500 will serve you well. Post some pictures. I love sending early morning success turkey pictures to my buddies who are at work and reminding them to send in their S.S. payments as I need to purchase some more ammo and another CD card for pictures.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

You just gave me an idea! lol

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 PM

Moss you know what the price of those TSS 9 shot cost. I wanted to buy them but they were over $50 A BOX for 5 shells. I ended up buying some Winchesters at $20 a box.

Life Member NRA
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You'll love the 20 and never look back. FF3 is a great choice. I tried patterning Federal TSS 7's but didn't have a great results. I settled on hand load TSS 9's which are lights out. Yes, the 20 craze has Indian Creek sold out....they've actually been sold out for at least a month. I have an IC .555 and .570...running the .555 on there now.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 08:33 PM
Part of the Community

Have a 20 gauge 1187. Love it. I shot a bird at 52 yards with it. Didn’t realize I was shooting that far and the bird was about to leave. Enjoy
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:28 PM
Banned

Shot my last 6 gobblers with the 20 gauge. Sold my 3.5 browning autogold. No need for anything other then the 20 imo. Its a 50 yard+ gun all day. Nice light small package.
Born2Hunt and Six-Gun like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page