Winchester Longbeard - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

I really like this ammo choke combination. Shooting the 3.5 inch 2 oz #6 loads with the Carlsons Longbeard XR Choke tube. I couldn't find the magnum 2 1/8 oz loads, but I'm satisfied with this.
https://youtu.be/mU_-Mck-pH4

Last edited by Windwalker7; 04-08-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:43 PM

I love the stuff. In fact, that’s the exact load I used through a Super Black Eagle 3 with a Primos Jellyhead choke this morning (same Iowa hunt with a wing bone call that I just posted about). Even in #6, it absolutely knocks them flat at surprising ranges because of how well it patterns.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
I love the stuff. In fact, that’s the exact load I used through a Super Black Eagle 3 with a Primos Jellyhead choke this morning (same Iowa hunt with a wing bone call that I just posted about). Even in #6, it absolutely knocks them flat at surprising ranges because of how well it patterns.
I hear the TSS with #9 shot are incredible. I just can't justify spending that much on ammo. Happy with the Longbeards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Same here. I have heard nothing but great things about the TSS shells, but it's hard to justify the extra cost when the Long Beards have been utterly reliable at all ranges I've used them. My longest kill with the Long Beard #6 you posted about is 52 yards. That was on a 2nd bird standing further out than my initial kill during last year's Nebraska opener. That load first dropped one bird hard just past 30 yards. Then I decided to burn my second tag when the other bird lollygagged after the first shot, hanging out at 52 yards. He went down without a whimper.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 PM
TEC
Frequent Contributor

I'm shooting 3"longbeard #5's out of a mossberg 835, hevi shot .676 choke, and just put a simmons pro diamond scope. I just patterned it on Sunday and honestly I'm sure with this combo I could kill turkeys out to 60yds plus. Plan on trying to keep shots at 50yds or less though
Six-Gun likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEC View Post
I'm shooting 3"longbeard #5's out of a mossberg 835, hevi shot .676 choke, and just put a simmons pro diamond scope. I just patterned it on Sunday and honestly I'm sure with this combo I could kill turkeys out to 60yds plus. Plan on trying to keep shots at 50yds or less though
With #5's and a good pattern, I have no doubt that you could kill a bird at 60 yard with that combination, but keeping it to 50 yards and in is definitely smart planning.
TEC likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
What's your 50 yard pattern look like?

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:48 PM
TEC
Frequent Contributor

Don't have a pic of the target but had 27 pellets in the head and neck
bigbear likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

I'm wondering at what point (yardage) does a #5 lead pellet run out of the energy required to break a turkey's spine?

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:45 PM
The Man

"To quickly take a turkey, I want a gel penetration of right at an inch and three quarters or so minimum. Some pellets will blow through, many won't, for a turkey's head and neck are a lot more variable than our ballistic gelatin can be. One and three quarters inches is adequate to do the job."

We can debate whether 1&3/4 inches of gel penetration is correct but the fact remains this is what most people feel is required to make an ethical and clean kill. According to the chart a #5 lead pellet runs out of enough energy to kill a turkey at about 45 yards. Doesn't matter if you can get a decent pattern after that distance.
Now a #4 lead pellet is much better at longer distantces, maybe out to 50 yards.
fall gobbler likes this.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page