Iowa Opening Day Success: 1st with a wing bone call - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Iowa Opening Day Success: 1st with a wing bone call

I got lucky earlier in the year and drew a non-resident Iowa Region 5 Spring turkey tag. I have a private land contact over there who set me up and helped keep dibs on the birds. The catch is that these non-resident seasons are very short. In my case, I drew Season 1, and only had April 8-11 to get my first Iowa bird down. Moreover, I wanted to get it done using my first-ever wing bone call. I made it from the Nebraska bird that I bagged just 2 weeks ago, and learned how to use it by practicing in my truck in that timespan. I took a few days of leave and made this morning the litmus test for my newly acquired wing bone call-making and calling skills.

I set up on a field edge near a couple of hundred yards from a roost tree. A rise in the cut bean field before me made for good cover approaching my blind, which I had set up this past Friday to minimize gameday disturbances. As soon as the first hen clucks started about 30 minutes before sunrise, I made a few of my own on the wing bone call and earned some gobbles in return - definitely a good sign!

The first appearance was a single hen who came through within 15 yards. Within a few minutes, she fed her way over the field rise, drawing my eyes to three Toms working their toward my calling. They were taking turns strutting and otherwise displaying in my direction until one bird caught sight of my Avian-X strutter decoy. I had it set up with a real Jake fan in its rump and paired with a feeder hen decoy. The anger surged immediately and all 3 birds started charging in at half-strut, looking to thump the perceived interloper.

Thump they did. All of the Toms surrounded the Jake decoy, spitting and Indian dancing around him until one finally kicked the decoy to the ground. They continued circling the rubber Jake as it listed forward like a torpedoed ship. After picking out a nice bird and waiting for him to separate, I sent a 3.5" load of #6 Winchester Long Beard XR into his neck, folding him right up and ending my hunt before all of the birds were even out of the roost.

His buddies hung around for a long time, offering a chance to have some fun with my owl hooter shock call. I even got to watch a still-roosted gobbler strutting to my calls on a tree limb behind them with the hunt already well over. I got some pretty decent HandyCam footage of the whole encounter and, needless to say, this was one to remember!

Hunt Video:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:24 PM

Awesome, congratulations!!
Six-Gun likes this.

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, bigguy!

I can honestly say that my primitive PA roots and the posts around here regarding wing bone calls inspired me to want to make this hunt happen. With all of the nice custom calls I have, it was great to go old school and pull one in this way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:18 PM
Banned

Great job
Six-Gun likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Nice video. Im jealous. You are getting at them early. I like it. Congratulations
Six-Gun likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Nice video and bird congrats!
Six-Gun likes this.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! It would be hard to have a more perfect hunt than today’s. It was totally wrapped up by just after 7AM and featured an incredible show for the cost of admission. The fact that the wing bone caller made it all possible at 16 yards was the best closing scenario imaginable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6140 View Post
Nice video. Im jealous. You are getting at them early. I like it. Congratulations
Make no mistake: while I miss being out in the PA woods, there is some stuff that I really love about our adopted home here in the Midwest. An abundance of turkey and early season starts are assuredly some of them.

Next week, Missouri’s Spring season opens and I’ll finally get to hunt birds on my own property for the first time in my life. After scouting the beanfields there this past weekend, saying that I’m incredibly excited for the chance to take my 3rd bird this season on my own farm would be putting it mildly...

hunter-trapper21 likes this.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 04-08-2019 at 06:25 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:07 PM
Regular Visitor

Nice! Congrats
Six-Gun likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage

CONGRATS on that outstanding hunt plus thanks for sharing with us all!! Helps get the ole juices flowing for sure!!
Six-Gun likes this.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Absolutely! It's my pleasure to share and see other folks share in kind, especially when it's a wild one like today was.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page