Do you prefer hunting or killing? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Do you prefer hunting or killing?

Sounds like a stupid question. We all want to fill a tag. But here is what I am getting at.

So far this season, I took a hunt-cation to Hawaii and a 3 day weekend to AL. In HI I juggled family activities with hunting public land on the slopes of the Mauna Kea volcano. Had a handful of close calls but finally sealed the deal on day 4. Also just came back from my annual 3 day weekend in northern mountains of Alabama. Twice had one inside gun range. The first one hung up just on the other side of a little finger ridge, even though I had called his 4 hens into my lap. The second one came in silent and busted me. Did not fill a tag. These examples are what I refer to as hunting.

On the other hand, I also live in a semi rural community. Know of 8-10 roosting sites that have been regularly used for the past 25 years. Been sitting against the same trees all that time. Sneak in before dark, sit down, wait until flydown, make a call or two and have a good chance of one showing his face within 15 minutes. That's what I refer to as killing.

I heard this expression many years ago.... All dead turkeys look the same. It's the hunt that sets one apart from the other.

Any more, I get more enjoyment out of playing the game than killing. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and don't have many more close encounters in the bank or the will soon not be able to hump it up and down the mountains.

Don't get me wrong, to each his own. But I'd rather fool with one and not kill him, than to shoot one off the roost and go home.
bigguy54, fall gobbler and BillHjr like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xarcher View Post
Sounds like a stupid question. We all want to fill a tag. But here is what I am getting at.

So far this season, I took a hunt-cation to Hawaii and a 3 day weekend to AL. In HI I juggled family activities with hunting public land on the slopes of the Mauna Kea volcano. Had a handful of close calls but finally sealed the deal on day 4. Also just came back from my annual 3 day weekend in northern mountains of Alabama. Twice had one inside gun range. The first one hung up just on the other side of a little finger ridge, even though I had called his 4 hens into my lap. The second one came in silent and busted me. Did not fill a tag. These examples are what I refer to as hunting.

On the other hand, I also live in a semi rural community. Know of 8-10 roosting sites that have been regularly used for the past 25 years. Been sitting against the same trees all that time. Sneak in before dark, sit down, wait until flydown, make a call or two and have a good chance of one showing his face within 15 minutes. That's what I refer to as killing.

I heard this expression many years ago.... All dead turkeys look the same. It's the hunt that sets one apart from the other.

Any more, I get more enjoyment out of playing the game than killing. Maybe it's because I'm getting old and don't have many more close encounters in the bank or the will soon not be able to hump it up and down the mountains.

Don't get me wrong, to each his own. But I'd rather fool with one and not kill him, than to shoot one off the roost and go home.
I still love shooting big longbeards but what I love more now is calling one in for someone else to shoot. If I am by myself I put way to much pressure on myself to kill that bird. It actually hurts my brain trying to figure out a turkey I cant kill the first time I hunt him. Those turkeys I hunt more just to try to kill them and many times I never did kill the turkey that would not come in. Now I really like taking someone out, sitting back and do the calling. No pressure on me either way. I swear I have more enjoyment watching other people kill gobblers I called in than me killing one.
bigguy54 likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree. In some ways we are forced to call in turkeys for other people just to become a better turkey hunter. That’s what you get when the state limit you to one or maybe two tags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:26 PM
Banned

Just how many tags would it take to make you happy? 5, 6, 10? You have the opportunity to take 3 turkeys in PA, if that isn't enough, there are other states. I swear, the more Pennsylvanians get them more they want.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:33 PM
dce
Sage

I'm way more content to sit back and watch it all unfold in front of someone else.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:54 PM

I do almost 100% of my Spring Gobbler hunting alone as I do not hunt fall turkeys even when they walk under my archery tree stand in turkey season. I do totally enjoy the finding, the calling, hearing responses from the gobblers and hens as well and luring a mature gobbler into easy gun range.

I have never and never will shoot a turkey out of a tree, from the road, over a dog or with a rifle not even if I though it was the grand champaign of gobblers. The thrill to me is believing I outsmarted him in his own environment where he was most of the advantages.

If he don't come in that day...there is most always another day or year. If I lose to his wit which is often, I will change my tactics next trip or later in the morning. I hunt hard and put all my effort in harvesting a mature gobbler each and ever trip, but there is more to hunting than just bringing home game. I take pride in just knowing I gave it my best effort win or lose.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Just how many tags would it take to make you happy? 5, 6, 10? You have the opportunity to take 3 turkeys in PA, if that isn't enough, there are other states. I swear, the more Pennsylvanians get them more they want.
Who suggested that?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:07 PM
Banned

You did. " Thatís what you get when the state limit you to one or maybe two tags".
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:09 PM
Banned

It's Pretty Simple

Quote:

X, if you hunt, you kill...pretty simple in my mind. Listen, you could replace your shotgun for a camera...ya know...problem solved!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

I agree with that. The hunt is what memories are made of, long after the kill or not or whether it's me or someone else pulling the trigger.

That being said, I'm not against the easy, quick kills because there will be enough of the tough ones to bring you back to reality.

That made me think of another expression I just heard recently from an old turkey slayer...... "It's all about the HUNT..... the KILL just means you WON!!"
jimbridger, loridr and BillHjr like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page