Gobbling? - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:41 AM
The Man

Only heard 15 or 20 this morning...…………….

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 04:34 PM

Awesome sight on the way into work this morning. Wish I had a better camera...looked absolutely awesome in person strutting around with the sun rising behind him.

Probably heading out Tuesday morning to do some listening in a new spot... actually have a couple new areas I need to get into and listen.

Gotta get the newly built turkey flintlock patterned too. Only like 6 more days off before opening morning for me.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I got in too close to the roost this morning. Ended up only hearing one bird gobble three times. He flew down and had his 5 hens follow suit. I watched him breed a hen about 15 minutes after flydown 60 yards from me. He was totally silent on the ground.

I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Part of the Community

mauser06 - What type of turkey flintlock did you build? I took the percussion double out a few times over the years but never tagged one with it. Thinking about trying it again this year but its an original and doesn't have choke. Would like to dust one with it before I'm dust....

Start everyday off with a smile and get it over with -
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Only heard 15 or 20 this morning...…………….

You Western Pa. guys are spoiled rotten, lol!!!!

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

When we were trapping gobbler, a number of years ago, we heard gobblers gobbling their heads off in both January and February so I don't think it is a matter of when they start as much as it is when they are back in their breeding range and gobbling.

Sometimes there is less gobbling during the peek of the breeding season because the gobblers tend to already with the hens and don't need to do much advertising.

Dick Bodenhorn
bigguy54 likes this.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Went out this morning and only heard 1 gobble at first light ! I saw 3 different birds strutting and all of them were henned up with at lest 4 hens ! Headed to a different spot in the morning !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 03:01 PM
Part of the Community

On Monday I saw a Tom cruising across a cut corn field gobbling the whole way. At 2:00 in the afternoon.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
When we were trapping gobbler, a number of years ago, we heard gobblers gobbling their heads off in both January and February so I don't think it is a matter of when they start as much as it is when they are back in their breeding range and gobbling.

Sometimes there is less gobbling during the peek of the breeding season because the gobblers tend to already with the hens and don't need to do much advertising.

Dick Bodenhorn
Agree R.S.B. This is when we often hear the season is over before it ends; however, we continue seeing gobblers and hens in the fields strutting but silent. This lack of calling makes some hunters think the gobblers are no longer interested in the hens. I have always thought over the weeks the gobblers and hens have developed a routine so they don't have to be so vocal......or all the gobblers have become hoarse. This can be a good time of the late season to call in gobblers after the hens disperse back to their respective nesting areas.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Today, 11:03 PM

I have an empty 55 gallon drum beside my garage that I’m going to cut in two for boiling traps. When I get up and around in the morning, I pound on the drum with a 5 lb sledge. Most mornings in the last two weeks I’ll get at least one bird to shock gobble back from the other side of the valley.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page