Cody Spec I Legend - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cody Spec I Legend

Has anyone ever fooled around with these calls or a similar high end Cody slate?
I traded a good friend of mine a Garmin dog tracking GPS that I haven't used in years. I told him I'd take his Cody World Class as a trade. He refused to give me his World Class, but instead stopped by Cody calls and ordered me a Spec I Legend.
The only slates I've ever owned were a MAD super aluminator and and Ol' Yeller by Knight and Hale. Both cheapo pot calls.

This legend is $225! I don't think I paid $225 for my trusty 870. Should be here in two weeks. Can't wait to play around with it.
I usually just take a couple mouth calls with me, but I might have to dedicate a pocket for this thing. LOL

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not me I would never consider spending that much on a call, when a 15.00 call will do the same. Funny you mention the MAD Aluminator, I bought one 23-25 years ago, and it has Approx 145-150 gobblers to its credit. Several years ago I found them online for 6.00 and bought 3 more. At times I'm shock what ppl spend on calls and decoys, but it is their money.
PAlimbhanger likes this.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yeah, same thing could be said about guns, ammo, camo, boots, trucks, fishing rods, whiskey and women.......

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM

Ive never ran that particular Cody call but I do have a few Cody’s and really like them. Im sure you will like it. Just put it on a lanyard so you dont lose it. Lol. Good luck with it.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:53 AM
The Man

Bill builds some great running, great sounding calls.

Whether high end calls are worth the money is all in the eye of the beholder. I could throw together a tube call today, like the one I killed my first bird with and have 5 cents or less in it and go kill gobblers. Some guys have an appreciation for carrying a $2000 Neil Cost original....a work of art and a piece of history....to kill their birds.

To each his own.

You'll like your new Cody !!!

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

I still use my Lohman Thunderdome slate call I bought 25 years ago. Killed lots of turkeys with it. Called in Ole Sneaky with it numerous times but never killed him, as far as I know he’s still out there roaming the mountain side

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Banned

Killed lots of turkeys over the years with Cody calls.
World Class slate, Woodsman green slate and glass.. once was one of rhe best out there. Now not so much.
Today there are so many great call makers out there today that I believe put out a better product for much less money.
Pa is blessed with a bunch of really good call makers.
Zearing used to say it was the Cadillac of turkey calls. Maybe it still is but there are some Mercedes, Maserati and Bentley's out there for less money.
With that said probably killed just as many with a 4$ mouth call.
fall gobbler likes this.

Last edited by Shed Antler; 03-26-2019 at 11:39 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You'll love your Cody Spec I. I had no idea Bill gets that kind of money for them though and I'm involved with a lot of high end custom call makers. I bought a World Class call from Bill back in the early nineties the first time I heard him run it for $25. If you're a serious turkey hunter (which I know you are), there's just that certain sound that makes you snap your head around when you hear it.

That being said, there are a pile of custom call makers that make calls that sound as good or better from $60-$100. Like was mentioned, if you're selective, some of the cheap production calls like the Aluminator and the Thunderdome were some really good calls.

The one good thing about most of the high end call is you can get your money out of it if you want to sell it. I have an idea you'll keep it though.
Fairchild #17 and Shed Antler like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:24 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
The one good thing about most of the high end call is you can get your money out of it if you want to sell it.
There's always this ^^^

Yep.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Supposedly the legends are tuned by Bill personally .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in