Choke or different load? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Choke or different load?

After 15 years of not spring turkey hunting I’m planning to devote some time to it this year. Before I was casual at best, basically taking the gun for a walk. I’ve got a Remington 870 that I’ll be using and I just got back from the range shooting. For choke, I’ve got the factory full and the shells were Remington nitro 3” in #5s. I shot at both 30 and 40 yds. I’ll put the pics of the targets below. Certainly not impressive?? So should I try maybe some #6s? Or get an aftermarket choke? If so, which one?

Also how many pellets should I be looking for inside the circle?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C85F4280-6908-4B5E-8FFA-D4872697B2E5_1552838758080.jpg (874.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 9CACE7C0-7698-4BFA-8D8B-977F90F2A66A_1552838800441.jpg (877.4 KB, 33 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 12:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would suggest trying Winchester longbeards in any shot size that you prefer. I shoot #6s with an extra full choke. It shoots an extremely tight pattern that will probabaly cause me to miss a close bird eventually. I think that they would do just fine with your factory full choke.
I shot Remington nitros for years. I would never use them again after seeing what a real Turkey load can do.
I would not focus on a certain number of pellets in your circle. When you get a good pattern you will know.

Last edited by woodsman1118; 03-17-2019 at 12:50 PM.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Look into Federal Flite Control
Shells. They are a game changer. No Choke needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:17 PM
Banned

Shotgun shells are cheaper to buy, different chokes can start costing you in the longrun. I use Winchester LB no. 6 shot as someone else mentioned you dont have to get into that circuit of 300 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds just remember 3 in the head hes dead.
Juniata4ever likes this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 PM
New Arrival

Hands down the best load I have ever shot is Federal Premium Heavyweight TSS Turkey Ammunition. Its pricey but deadly.
eastbank likes this.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:16 PM
The Man

Remove the trial and error.

Get a box of Longbeard XR shells in #5 or #6 and an Indian Creek Black Diamond choke tube. You'll thank me.
bohunr, Six-Gun and Juniata4ever like this.

demokraten saugen
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Banned

You will get lots of answers on this But if want a quick and immediate improvement just go get winchester longbeards.
If you want the very best out of your gun then go get some tss and different chokes til you find what you like best. The federal or Apex ammo or Nitro ammo co.
You can look on Nitro ammo company web site and they will give you recommendations for your gun. Loads and chokes.

Quick immediate and cheap improvements is the Winchester longbeards. They make all other lead shells obsolete.
Whaler and Six-Gun like this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Remington Turkey loads are the worst I've ever patterned by far. They are just awful.

The next category would be Winchester Supreme or Federal loads. I've killed a bunch of birds with of them. The flight control was from Federal never impressed me, nor did it make a negative difference while shooting ported chokes.

I next tried Hevi shot loads and wasn't impressed with them at all. They were very inconsistent on the patterning board and I can't tell you how many shell leaked buffer all over the place.

Then the Winchester Longbeards came along and totally dominated in the pattern density category. 4s 5s 6s.....doesn't matter. My 870 with a cheap ($29) truglo ssx choke tube eats them up and spits them out with beautiful consistency and I've killed quite a few birds with them as well.

Now, I don't even know why, but I just ordered a box of Federal TSS #9s. Mostly because I have a bunch of Cabelas bucks to use up I guess.

There is no doubt those TSS loads are the best you can buy. Period.
But if you don't want to spend $8 every time you pull the trigger, get some Winchester Longbeard #6s. I'll bet they will shoot just fine out of your factory choke. They are a fantastic shell.
Whaler and Juniata4ever like this.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Remove the trial and error.

Get a box of Longbeard XR shells in #5 or #6 and an Indian Creek Black Diamond choke tube. You'll thank me.
I see the Carlson longbeard xr is designed to be used with the Winchester xr’s. Any experience with that combo? I was just about to pull the trigger on that but I gotta look at Indian creek now...

Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What’s better 1 3/4 oz or 1 7/8?? Why even give the options with such little difference??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page