Suggestions of 2019 Spring Turkey - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Suggestions of 2019 Spring Turkey

Hello all:

I'm not looking for anyone to give up their good luck spots or anything like that, but If anyone can give me any advice on a some general areas were I can take my son for spring turkey this year, I would really appreciate it! Looking for anywhere in or around Lackawanna County. I've been out of the game for awhile, but my son (14 years old) wanted to start and we go back into it, however we haven't had any real success. I'd love him to get a bird! Thanks in advance

Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You're living in turkey country. Pick some GLs and start scouting is the best advice I can give.
Vince U and Juniata4ever like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 04:56 PM

exactly any game lands up there hold lots of birds. If you can travel Wayne County GL are loaded with birds. Get out there and scout, you will get into the birds. Take your boy with you and help him learn the scouting of the birds. He will enjoy it so much more if he is able to call one in and kill one if he participated in the whole process. Good luck
bigguy54, Vince U and Juniata4ever like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 07:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pre season scouting is a blast. I'm 53 and I can remember the times my father took me. I have been back to some of the same spots from 40 years ago, And I have killed gobblers in several of the places. Boots on the ground and time with your kids, what else could a man ask for.
Vince U likes this.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There are no turkeys in that part of the state. Just kidding. If I don't do our NWTF youth hunt (Easter weekend may cancel our usual event) I will be looking for a youth hunter. I should know soon.
Vince U likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks guys! Great info. My son and I are in the processes of planning a scouting trip to State Game Land 300. Went out and bought a tree camera and watching lots of youtube on scouting and hunting turkey. I'll post updates! Thanks again.
bigguy54 and fall gobbler like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure how much that trail camera will help with scouting turkeys, but a few daybreaks (on good days) in April on a higher area will. Find those good listening spots now and get to know the terrain.... be back in April to listen.
jk6140 and Vince U like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:19 PM

The is how I have scouted for the last couple of decades. I do not go wondering around the woods even thought I do enjoy that as I now have 4+ high hills I go to before daylight where I can hear gobblers for a mile or so and listen...they will tell you where they at.
Vince U likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:37 PM
Part of the Community

Definitely, get him out scouting, take your breakfast with you. Northern warblers migrate through in early May too so take a bird book and binoculars if that's of any interest. Always enjoyed the turkey, warbler, trout fishing, wild flower outings when I was that age.

Edited to add: and grouse drumming and bringing back some wild leeks.
PA boxcall and Vince U like this.

If Sunday hunting was not already illegal, who among us would not laugh at making it so?

Last edited by Ellsworth; 03-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've been known to ask mailmen, local/state cops, newspaper delivery, trashmen, etc. - anyone who might be in the area i'm interested in if they are seeing any birds. Springing for their coffee at the local "quickie mart" helps loosen tongues ... LOL
PA boxcall and Vince U like this.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page