shotgun red dot / scope options? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

shotgun red dot / scope options?

Son has a winchester SX4. He uses the gun for both grouse and turkey.
We are looking for a scope or red dot sight that we can mount on the shotgun (when turkey hunting) that can be easily taken off for grouse and put back on and still be reasonably accurate, without having to resight it in.
Anyone have any thoughts?

(We finally figured out that he is left eye dominate, and shoots right handed, which explains why he is o-fer on like 6 turkeys.. )

Gobble,Gobble,Gobble -> BANG
KingRon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 07:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My youngest son (who is now 26), has the same issue (shoots right handed, left eye dominant). We figured that out long ago and he simply closes his left eye. He hadn't ever missed a turkey until last year and he's killed a bunch. He also is a very good waterfowl wing shooter. Just uses a high viz bead. Give it a try.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had used a saddle mount(picked up mount + reg scope at Cabela's - a combo deal). I used the same gun(Browning Gold Stalker) for turkey and waterfowl. To install the mount I had to remove 2 pins from the receiver - slide the mount over the holes then fastened with the screws that came with it.(I removed it for waterfowl). I did always test fire with the scope on just to make sure - don't remember if I ever had to fully sight-in again.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 08:19 PM
The Man

I think I'd go with a Weaver rail and take a couple shots to put it back on when you switch the dot sight on and off the gun.

Sight the dot in with his turkey shells. Then take a few shots with a Walmart low brass. Accurately record the difference in POI between the two loads. Then you can do your re-sight with the low brass el cheapo shells. If the low brass shoots 4 inches lower and 6 inches right of the turkey load, using a low brass, sight it in that way……. 4 inches low and 6 inches right. Your turkey load will be spot on. Be sure to use 30-36" paper for your sight-ins.

demokraten saugen
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-24-2018, 08:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We use the Fast fire 3 on several of our turkey guns, but they are only used for turkeys. I do not see a problem with taking them off. My question is, we all shoot the red dots with both eyes open. Would that change anything with your son and his eye dominance ??

Don't Gobble at me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page