Got what you asked for... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Got what you asked for...

Many hunters want an earlier opener rather than what it is. Well...Mother Nature somewhat supplied that this year with a winter that hung on forever. How did that affect you? Positively or negatively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 12:42 AM

The spring here was like it was 35 yrs ago when we started hunting spring birds. 2weeks of open woods was the norm back then.

I was busted a few times due to open woods and/or aggressive movements but, all in all it was a great sseason. There were days that they were screaming "TAKE ME". We had fun.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:21 AM

I will take earlier in these parts every time. The southwest part of the state was rocking the whole season this year.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 07:45 AM
The Man

I did not have a great season but at the same time the gobbling was noticeably better. Also like the woods greening up later. Another advantage was the last week of the season seemed more like the second or third week not the last. Only problem for me is about everywhere I went the gobblers seemed really henned up and couldnít pull them away to save my life. With that being said I like the late spring. If winter hangs on as long next year it wonít be as much of a downer to me because it should mean an entire month of good turkey hunting. Just need to change my tactics a bit so I donít go empty handed again.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 08:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The season and time spent hunting is what you make of it. We had another great season, even with out me being able to get around. We had several encounters where the gobbler would stop at 45-50 yds strut and look, I believe it was due to the woods being open. But we also killed several birds early and then late. And I still chuckle about the first day, gobbler came in and I got worked up and forgot about the safety. Gun would not fire and gobbler booked. Love hunting them..

Don't Gobble at me...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM

This was by FAR the worst season over hunted and I think it was my 20th season.

I typically hear more gobbling in a DAY than I did this entire season total.

This was probably one of my hardest hunted seasons too...around 20 days hunted.

I hunted 4 counties..covered around 50 miles on my boots...

I actually worked birds ONE morning and they were completely shut down by 8am.

If you hunt by calling you can kill birds in March and April and you can kill em in June.

It was a strange season. Many days I didn't even hear them gobble on the limb. I never stumbled into birds when I was hiking..normal years I actually pass atleast a couple birds that are strutting on a trail or logging road as I'm hiking...I covered a lot of miles in the truck and didn't see hardly anything in fields

I don't know what to make of it.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

This year was absolutely my worst year to day I have ever encountered ! I work 7pm to 7am and 2 days on 2 days off then 3 days on 3 days off and I hunted every morning up until noon. I only heard birds gobble even on the roost 3 days ! granite I wasn't out there every morning to hear them on the roost but I couldn't even buy a gobble ! I walked miles of logging and gas well roads and I also rode my bike miles back in on gated gas well roads and never heard a bird ! Also this year I saw several lone hens every day and I also hunted those areas figuring there was a gobbler around there somewhere but nothing ! I also saw several groups of hens with no gobblers in tow ! I didn't even get to work a bird this year ! Right after season closed I was on my mountain bike changing out my trail cam cards and saw several hens with poults about a week old ! The one day I checked cams I saw 6 hen with poults of all different sizes all together ! Weird season around here and everybody I talked to said the same thing I was experiencing ! Heck I only heard 2 shots all season and that was the first morning !
Oh well hopefully next year will be better !!

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullfan View Post
The season and time spent hunting is what you make of it. We had another great season, even with out me being able to get around. We had several encounters where the gobbler would stop at 45-50 yds strut and look, I believe it was due to the woods being open. But we also killed several birds early and then late. And I still chuckle about the first day, gobbler came in and I got worked up and forgot about the safety. Gun would not fire and gobbler booked. Love hunting them..
Fullfan i'm just curious do you hunt private or public land ?? and where did you kill your birds at private or public ?

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 05:43 PM

You won't hear me asking for an earlier start, ever.

I'll take fully leafed-out woods any day. This year, as is usual in this area, the last two weeks were the best by far.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:29 PM

I hunted hard from the first day till the last. Like I said, several counties... different areas etc. They just never got active. There were numerous days I never heard a bird...to add salt to that wound, those were often the days I hunted the longest and hiked the furthest lol.

Years of scouting, I'd definitely vote to have the season moved 2-3 weeks earlier. And that's coming from someone that has killed a number of birds the last week and last days including the last day of the season.

15-20 years ago, the last 2 weeks always seemed best for actually bringing bird in IMO. Now, the last 2 weeks seems to be hit or miss.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page