Shot opportunities....how many - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shot opportunities....how many

I think I've started this a few times in years past. How many shot opportunities did you have? If three jakes came in together on Monday and two longbeards on Tuesday, I'm calling that two shot opportunities not 5.

I was going to start by saying it was an odd year and not as good as normal. Which is true if I don't include the junior day which was incredible. My adult season is primarily private land in NEPA which can't be compared to big chunks of public. I usually hunt everyday for first two weeks then sporadically after that. I would guess for the last five years I average about 7 or 8 shot opportunities. This year 3 died that came to calling and one kind of got bushwacked. And only one other time did turkeys come but not get shot. So in reality I would say 4 shot opportunities for 2018 adult season. And I hunted with four other people throughout the season. Off season and slower than normal here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had exactly six shot opportunities in three states. I was fortunate to make them all count, but to say this was an odd year is an understatement. I spent a lot of time before and during the Pa. season just trying to locate birds. They did not disperse from their winter areas like normal. I found birds in places where there usually aren't many, and there were very few (if any) in my normal good spots. A couple of spots had birds still flocked up half way through the season.

I keep in touch with a lot of turkey killers and quite a few didn't kill one bird, let alone two as they routinely do. One guy, who hunts almost every day in the NE day told me he only heard a couple of birds.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM

In PA I spent no time scouting. Did not go out opening day. Hunted 4 days saw 13 mature gobblers. I believe only 2-3 repeats were possible. Hunted 4 days shot two mature gobblers one at 7:30 which came in with 6 hens 20 lbs., 12 yard shot. The other at 8:30 came in with 2 hens other hens further out. This one weighted 21 lbs., and went down at 21 yds. I call to him for over an hour. The twenty put both of them down on the spot.

The other two days had close calls as 4 mature gobblers came in strutting with 7 hens they were headed at my decoys 20 yards out; however, 3 deer walked out between the turkeys and decoys pushing the gobblers out of sure range. I did call one of the hens to come in and walk right past me, but no other bird followed her.

I only heard 4 shots from others while I was out. I would have to say we have a pretty good turkey population in my area. I only saw 2 Jakes whereas the in the past 3 years I have been calling in 5-7 or more Jakes. I also saw in four days more hens than I have seen in the last 4 years total.

Can't wit till next Spring.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:45 AM

I had two shot opportunities which resulted in two dead longbeards the first week. Sometimes the cards just fall your way.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Had several in Missouri same in Pa. First morning in Pa had a big old gobbler at 8 yds, gun will not go off with the safety on.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

8 shot opportunities in roughly 20 days. Includes other states and calling for wife, son, buddy. Actually called in 2 birds on/after Memorial Day. Each had 1.5 inch spurs and were called away from hens. (Actually just trying to stir the "season is too late " pot. )
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:40 PM
The Man

Zero for me this year. Didnít even see one let alone had one in shooting range.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:57 PM
The Man

I had one and harvested it. I called in one for my 5 year old son, but he was not comfortable with the shot and passed. I also called in three for my dad. He missed two and let one get by him. All in all it was a pretty good season.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:03 PM
The Man

PA no shot

NY 2 shots 2 birds, and 1 was on a SUNDAY

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If you're talking longbeards 4. 2 I killed, 2 were right out of range of my 20 gauge at about 50 yards. I feel confident I would have killed them with my 12 gauge. This is way down from my average.

Strange, strange year for sure. As mentioned in the past, it was a very late spring. And turkeys just don't seem to run into the gun like they have in previous years. I have a buddy somewhere in the 100 bird club, and this is the first year since 1997 he has not killed a bird. Tough year for many guys.

Here's the best news of all.....zero misses this year!

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page