Still tuning this one, but thought I'd share. Going for a fall call with the left side being a hen, and the right for gobbler yelps. I started this call probably 2 years ago, and am just now able to work on it. I took a break from the fly vise on Friday night to work at finishing the call.
Ill post how its progressing, as it goes along. Really hope to score a turkey with it this fall to cross "Taking a turkey with a call I built" off of my bucket list of things I want to do. I am also going to take the wingbones from my second gobbler and try to make my own wing bone call.
Tied about 2 dozen flies last night then messed with my call for a little bit. I was mainly focusing on the back end. I couldnít figure out why it didnít really have any at all. I was just doing various calls and realized it was really quiet when I tried to do a gobble.
So I held the call straight out in front of me and watched the lid slide across the rails. Looked like it had some unnecessary contact at the rear of the call. I took my file and chisel and created a trough. I kept checking the lid and made sure it had clearance. Bingo! Gained a little back end rasp to it. I played with tuning out the back end and got it a little closer and decided to stop on the back end for the night before I messed it up.
My next issue was that squeaky front end, and not achieving sound. I was looking at my box compared to others and found my curve was not really all that steep. The whole curve had a long sweep to it, with not a lot of rise.
Tonight I plan to disassemble the call and put a bit more aggressive curve on the front with my belt sander. Little by little Iíll take some off and check the call. Iím going to mark where I do have sound as to use that as a reference point to where I need at keep it as is and add curve ahead of it. I believe this will allow the call to have a smoother slide and achieve the higher front end note of the yelp. It almost seems the lid rises there and then comes back down, and deadens the sound.
I added a little more curve to the rear as well last night. I decided to literally chalk the entire bottom of the lid and do a few yelps. I turned the call over and could see places where the lid was hitting where it shouldnít have. The spots that had chalk missing on the back of the lid pointed me to the trouble areas. I then smoothed out and eliminated these clearance issues.
I love making calls and picking my brain to try and figure out how to get the wood to do what I want it to. Iím weird and enjoy the struggle associated with it. I have a lot of guys eager to help me but I am enjoying trying to learn it on my own for the most part. Iím sure some are reading this and thinking, thatís what I was going to tell him to do, and I appreciate you holding your tongue. Thatís how I did it with tying flies. I had a few years of not catching fish, then Iíd catch fish but my flies would fall apart, now they are super durable and hold up to 15-20 fish before I see any evidence of failure, and a scroll through my personal or fly business page will show you how they catch fish.
Iím trying not to settle on the ďI can kill a bird with this mentalityĒ and focus more on ďIím closer to what a real hen sound likeĒ idea. I know that you donít have to sound perfect to kill turkey. If that was the case Iíd never kill one.
I own a pile of box calls. The ones that blow you away arenít ones that the call maker thought, this will call in a bird; the ones that focused on every aspect of the yelp are the mind blowers. Iím not looking to be a Gibson award winning call maker, or even sell them. Just want to make a call that matches a hen, and in this calls case a gobbler. I think my gobbler side is pretty decent, just now need to get that squeak out and focus on the high front end Yelp.
Thanks for reading along with this build. I thought some of you may enjoy the journey, and maybe bring back some memories when you first started.
I attached the pics for reference of what I meant about the curve of the call.
I am 99.9% finished with the call now. Maybe just some small tweaks here and there. I am really happy with the call. The lid and base wood were given to me fro Mike Lapp. His double inlay tracks were in there, but I put in the inlays and shaped the lid and such. The maple was purchased from a saw mill close to where I live. This was quite an adventure and this call is no where near the sound quality of what I am used to using, but for me doing it, on my own I am satisfied. I feel it will work to kill a bird in my area. It is not the level of realism as I want to hear, but its not really up to me to decide that. Hoping to use this box in the fall and take my first ever fall bird with it.