5Likes
  • 1 Post By TurkeyMike
  • 3 Post By R. S. B.
  • 1 Post By K. Gus

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

May 31st...the end.

Anyone else heading out???

I only have a couple hours unless action is hot... heading to the field on the edge of the swamp I heard 2 gobbles from Monday. He wasn't a field/pasture I can't access... hopefully the wet night brings him to the open corn stubble field. Had 3 hens work in there last week...

I'd love to smack one the last morning after the season ive had. I will have to count but I gotta be around 20 mornings hunted...

Good luck to anyone else still pushing on this morning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Just got absolutely soaked by a little storm.

Skies are clearing quick though... I feel like birds aughta come out into this field soon..whether or not they play by the rules... and if they come into range are 2 separate issues lol.

Gunna try to sit it out atleast till 8. Not sure if I will last that long or not if I'm not seeing or hearing anything.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:24 AM

I tried to take a buddy out this morning for a little bit. Both spots we went to had other hunters. Sad to see it go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

That's a wrap. Kept raining (pouring at times) off and on. Windy at times too.

The field was a solid idea though. Fields across the road had a pile of birds in it. Need to do more homework. At first glance it looks like they may be fair game. If not, I will try to gain access for next year.

2018...the season that never came...

11 long months now. Need to maybe think about an out of state trip for next season and extend things... we'll see what happens. I've grown to love out of state adventures and haven't done spring gobblers yet.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:06 AM
The Man

I just had to be out there today. The birds were gobbling on the opposite side of the large clear hollow I have been hunting. I learned a valuable lesson this morning. A wingbone and kees, and really fire up gobblers, and doing a gobbler yelp on the right box call can make every bird curious. LOL two calls I never really use in the spring, but will have to utilize more of. The wingbone I was using was given to me by JMBear at the auction from Rick Harro and was made by Lee Bowles. Love that call and it means a lot to me.

They gobbled pretty decent on the roost, then shut up when they hit the ground. I did some kees, and they were fired up good. I did a few gobbler yelps and watched a bird come from about 400 yards out on the opposite ridge, come in to the bottom. I think it was a jake or gobbler but can not confirm or deny. Was nice to sit back and watch turkeys be turkeys. Even though my season was done on May 16th, it is still just a sad day. Nothing like the spring turkey woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wingbone.jpg (156.1 KB, 9 views)
bigguy54 likes this.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 11:53 AM
Regular Visitor

I have 1 of those wing bone calls never used it much was never good on calling on it Ill have to practice more for next season.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 12:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob View Post
I have 1 of those wing bone calls never used it much was never good on calling on it Ill have to practice more for next season.

If its made well it should be pretty easy. To kee is really simple once you have it down. The main thing is lip pressure, and not to try and pull in a ton of air.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 05:34 PM

I at least got to work one on the last morning. Didn't hear a thing until 10:00 when I finally got close enough to one that he gobbled.

Problem was that he was in an area of open woods surrounded by buckthorn. I got as close as I could to a place I thought he might come though one of a couple openings and set up. In hindsight I should have circled around though and got an open woods set up because he just wouldn't come out of the open woods where he couldn't see at least fifty yards. I suspect he would have avoided any place the calling was coming from until he could see a hen though. In any event he moved back and forth gobbling for an hour but wouldn't come into sight. Then he shut up and I knew he was on the move. I kept scanning for him but the bugger went right up through the open woods on past me and then gobbled from the other side of me. I moved to where he had been for an hour hoping I could get him to come back to where he had wanted to be for so long. I never heard him again. I don't know if he caught me moving or if he was just done.

Oh well at least it was a fun season even though I didn't hear birds on a lot more days than most years. I hunted every day of the season. I got one but the second tag went unfilled.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:00 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Heard one last night about a half mile from the house. There haven't been birds in there all season, yet there he was at 6:00 gobbling away. I tell ya, it's gonna get good in June .

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I tell ya, it's gonna get good in June .[/QUOTE]

In the old turkey hunting books, when they talked about digging a little trench and filling it with corn and rice tailings, just how deep were those trenches?

P.S. just asking for a friend
fall gobbler likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page