The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Airbow for big game.

4K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  tdd 
#1 ·
#15 ·
Why not? Shouldn't be legal in archery but why not in muzzle loader and rifle season's? Its not as capable as a rifle, shotgun or muzzle loader if someone wants to use it in those season's I would have no problem with it? I could see it as a valuable tool in those season's in suburban area's where a bullet would be far more dangerous to homes/pets/people

#5 ·
I believe Maryland is only allowing them in firearms seasons. Since it is an air rifle that shoots an arrow as a projectile it belongs where air rifles are legal.

If someone shoots a 150 grain core lokt from a slingshot, it is still a slingshot, not a rifle.

#9 ·
I believe Maryland is only allowing them in firearms seasons. Since it is an air rifle that shoots an arrow as a projectile it belongs where air rifles are legal.

If someone shoots a 150 grain core lokt from a slingshot, it is still a slingshot, not a rifle.

Agreed. As long as it's treated as a firearm, by all means, make it legal for whoever wants to use one. If a hunter likes the added challenge of using a relatively short range weapon during a gun season, hey, knock yourself out.

#10 · (Edited)
I could be wrong but I believe a crossbow was always legal in the rifle season.....long before it nudged its way into the archery season. Over a period of time, I believe the airbow will nudge its way in also.

correction...people will nudge the airbow in. There was time when the vertical, mechanical bow that now seems to be the standard for archery hunting was sitting right where the airbow sits.

#16 ·
It may nudge its way into firearms season but since the technology does not propel the arrow from every stored in drawn limbs, I don't see any inclusion into archery season in this state, since it is an air rifle.

#17 · (Edited)
Very true! I own one from a different manufacturer. You either have to take the tank to a scuba shop and have it recharged at $8 a pop, or buy a special pump to refill it that is like mixing stiff concrete for 10 minutes.

Here is mine which can shoot arrows or 22 cal pellets. I can't wait to take it squirrel hunting with the 22 caliber barrel on it this fall. It is a FX Verminator.

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah, but that's the same deal with most of your high-quality, high-pressure air rifles that are used for big game. You need a special compressor to charge them up, but they have a decent following. I do agree that the airbow - at least at face value - is more of a gimmick. You can bet that a lot of people got big eyes thinking that these would probably be legal for archery season, when it's probably more likely that this isn't happening anytime soon, if ever.

#13 ·
If this was given a 50-yard safety zone instead of 150, I can see a niche for it for suburban firearms seasons where deer can....and do....find places where safety zones provide safety for the deer. Yes, a bow and crossbow are already useful in those scenarios. It'd just be another option.

Other than that, I also agree this is not a bow, which is currently defined by the PGC as storing energy in bent limbs. That's not the case here, and so it's not a bow per PGC regs.

While there were folks who did right out of the gate support crossbow inclusion, I think this will have far fewer supporters behind it. And with only one option for purchasing, it's not a developed technology, nor one that's financially competitive or viable.

I can't see any possible route to inclusion for this given the current landscape, other than maybe during firearms season.

#14 ·
How loud is this thing? I can't see it having too much more advantage than a crossbow. Maybe you get 10 more yards in range? But, it's still an arrow and you need perfect shot placement. And, if it's loud, you're just spooking more deer.

If it's only a little bit more effective than a crossbow, and it's definitely less effective than a gun, who would bother wasting the money on one. I have a bow, a crossbow, a shotgun, an inline, a rifle and a flintlock already. I don't need another niche weapon. I don't care if it's legal or not or when it would be legal.....I still wouldn't waste my money on it. I don't see the big advantage.

#18 ·
$8 per pop for how many shots? Just thinking what goose/turkey hunters will pay today for shotshell..or even what an inline projectile goes for that will open wallets.

As all has flown before, the recharge issue will bring new products. Even sporting goods stores to provide a recharge service.

I just can't see the PGC keeping it at arms length. It's too good of a harvest tool for the SRA's. Also, all the reasons as to why the crossbow was needed to keep hunters with disabilities engaged can easily transfer to the airbow.

Wait until someone with a disability contacts a congressman if air power is approved for big game!

#19 ·
the PGC could hold a lottery/drawing for a buck only tag. $10 app fee and $25 license fee if you are drawn. it shoots an arrow and loads from the muzzle, so it could have a week in the early archery/muzzleloader season and shoot a buck! look at all the money the PGC could make and it would also include everyone! surely the muzzleloading and archery orgs would support it! if all else fails, just throw it into the late archery and flintlock only season :rolleyes:

#21 ·
IMO it is not a bow, firearm, or muzzleloader. I think some people get too hung up on what a tool like this is classified as. Create a "Airbow" season; and so what if it overlaps with archery, muzzy, and/or firearms season.

Resident adults in Pa. are all given equal opportunities to buy licenses, buy bonus tags, and hunt multiple seasons. A hunter can choose to fill their tag using a long bow, recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow, inline ML, handgun, single shot rifle, bolt rifle, pump rifle, lever rifle, traditional ML, or in the future a semi rifle and airbow. Why does it matter to anyone else what others choose to use?

Good luck, Tony

#24 ·
IMO it is not a bow, firearm, or muzzleloader. I think some people get too hung up on what a tool like this is classified as. Create a "Airbow" season; and so what if it overlaps with archery, muzzy, and/or firearms season.

Resident adults in Pa. are all given equal opportunities to buy licenses, buy bonus tags, and hunt multiple seasons. A hunter can choose to fill their tag using a long bow, recurve bow, compound bow, crossbow, inline ML, handgun, single shot rifle, bolt rifle, pump rifle, lever rifle, traditional ML, or in the future a semi rifle and airbow. Why does it matter to anyone else what others choose to use?

Good luck, Tony

No. It doesn't matter. I agree with dpms that it belongs in a rifle season.

As I said, once air power is approved for big game in Pa, all it will take is a person with a disability to contact a legislator and it will be allowed in archery. Am I afraid of its use in any archery season? No! Given the crossbow has given rise to the "no reason why a rifle hunter can't be an archery hunter, the airbow will give greater power to oppose new rifle opportunities once it achieves inclusion. That's where it all crosses the line. JMHO.

#22 ·
People seem to always be against any change,moving foward with anything including technology.Yet here we all are typing on a forum instead of writing and mailing letters.I personally don't care what anyone uses.I wouldn't run out and buy an airbow.I'm not going to run out and buy a semi either.I don't care if I'm the only guy in the woods that doesn't have one.I hunt my way perhaps others should do the same.I don't care if I get a deer but it would be a bonus but it seems mighty important to quite a few folks.Someone else might have an edge over them.

#28 ·
My local rep told me, while we asked he oppose the inline proposal, that he would not stand against a disabled person. I would assume most politicians will not position themselves in such a way either. The complaint has to be valid....and it wasn't with the inline. I have a feeling the airbow will be different..

Of course all of this is just theory. Pa won't lead the way. The airbow is coming as we see it happen in Maryland. I wondered if anyone has thought more about it since it was last discussed on HPA.

#29 ·
It was approved in Maryland.

Whether it sees use or not remains to be seen.

A lot depends on the manufacturers. If this doesn't get more companies and more options behind it, I don't think people will flock to throw their money at the one option out there.

How many hunters would actually put cash on the counter for one of these, if they were approved here in PA?

I think the crossbow was an easier shift. People were familiar with the technology, and it was around in other states.

This technology will need time in the field in other states before I see PA consumers throwing serious cash at it.

Regardless of regulatory/legislative issues, and there are a few of those to be sure, I just don't think the PA "market" for this is ready for it.

#33 ·
I have no problem with a disabled person being able to use it, but let them get a permit like they do for everything else! They're already permitted to use semi-auto rifles if they're missing a hand or arm or hunt from a vehicle/atv/wheelchair, etc... under certain conditions. The disability argument is moot to me. No reason to legalize for everyone just to satisfy disabled, make it by permit only.

#35 ·
i just looked online, and a new air bow (450 fps) is $829.95. IMO at that price, they are already in the right price range for a lot of people. heck, look at the price of some of the xbow's and compounds out there. sporting stores will gear up for the charging of cylinders and it will be game on.

#37 ·
i think its a slippery slope if they would ever include these in archery season. If you can use a airbow what about a cartridge powered gun that fires arrows. Google it they are already around. You will have people shooting arrows at 800 fps and shooting deer at 100 yards. At least with crossbows they are somewhat limited by the fact the energy has to come from bent limbs.

#38 ·
It may nudge its way into firearms season
But who would leave a perfectly good 30-06 at home and take this contraption?

I don't yet have an opinion on it. Whether to make it legal in archery or muzzle loader. To me, it's just a gimmick right now. We'll see how it progresses in other states.

What do top notch bows and compounds shoot these days? 350ish fps?

#40 ·
Hunting bows IBO around 330-350, yeah. Bear in mind IBO speeds and "as you'd go hunting" speeds ain't the same thing, lol.

My Hoyt Defiant IBO's at around 330, but till I put a peep, loop, and monkey tails on the string and use my Easton Axis FMJ (aluminum with a carbon core) shafts, it's probably really shooting 260-ish.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.