Hunting mature bucks - Page 94 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #931 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:36 PM
Frequent Contributor

To busy working during the spring and summer months but I did 90% of my scouting during the winter, only thing left for me to do now is to put my cams out next month and wait to see which bucks have shown back up to hunt.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
I haven't been scouting but have been working on my new mobile hunting cabin. I sold my hybrid and bought a 2010 Coachman Catalina 21BH. A old guy down the road from me bought it new and took it to a campground around State College and there it sat for nine years. Got a great deal on it and have been cleaning and getting it ready to camping. This is a huge upgrade over the hybrid especially camping in the cold of November. Plan on spending most of the fall camping in it and hunting public land in Pa. and Ohio. I did see what would have been a huge buck dead on the road with big heavy main beams starting.
Do you typically park at campgrounds with hookups or do you typically just park it at trailheads or other places without hookups?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #933 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:24 PM

I have 3 cameras out right now (1 in PA and 2 in Ohio). Still a little early to tell alot about the bucks, but I have a few that I think should be decent bucks. One may be a real nice one, but of course the pic quality was really crappy. LOL. I have always thought around the 4th of July that you could really start to tell alot about a buck on the trail cam.
steelhead125 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Do you typically park at campgrounds with hookups or do you typically just park it at trailheads or other places without hookups?

I do both, the primitive sites are actually my favorite because there are less people. Nothing worse than being packed into a full service campground with some drunken hillbilly hooten and hollering right outside your camper all night when you have to get up early to hunt. By late October and November you won't need air conditioning, so you can get by on battery and a small 2000 watt inverter generator for weeks.
cspot likes this.

The older I get the better I was.
post #935 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I run my 20 cameras year round and just pulled my cards and changed some batteries yesterday ! Most of the bucks I have are small and just splitting main beam and brow tines ! I do have a very heavy beamed buck with brows and another one that is a 6 point so far !
I can't wait to see what and if any of the bucks from the last several years come back to grow there antlers and then disappear again in mid to late August !
Born2Hunt likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #936 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone View Post
I do both, the primitive sites are actually my favorite because there are less people. Nothing worse than being packed into a full service campground with some drunken hillbilly hooten and hollering right outside your camper all night when you have to get up early to hunt. By late October and November you won't need air conditioning, so you can get by on battery and a small 2000 watt inverter generator for weeks.

I assume you are using propane for heat and refrigeration?

Yes by deer season the primitive sites are usually empty around me. Some of the trailheads have plenty of room to park a camper in as well.

post #937 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
I have 3 cameras out right now (1 in PA and 2 in Ohio). Still a little early to tell alot about the bucks, but I have a few that I think should be decent bucks. One may be a real nice one, but of course the pic quality was really crappy. LOL. I have always thought around the 4th of July that you could really start to tell alot about a buck on the trail cam.
that's why I wait until July 1st. to start putting cams out and I agree 100% about July 4th. If you don't consider a buck to be a shooter on July 10th. you won't consider it to be a shooter after he sheds his velvet.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......
post #938 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShedSeeker View Post
that's why I wait until July 1st. to start putting cams out and I agree 100% about July 4th. If you don't consider a buck to be a shooter on July 10th. you won't consider it to be a shooter after he sheds his velvet.
I will put out more cameras then. I like to run a couple year around as you sometimes get some cool pics (bear, bobcat, coyote, etc) on them.

post #939 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have to disagree somewhat in that you can tell usually by late may weather they are target bucks or not even though it really doesn't matter weather it's june1 or July1. I am pretty sure I have found my number 1 target buck as of june 9th this yr.

Last edited by LONZO; 06-17-2019 at 03:59 PM.
post #940 of 959 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:07 PM

So has anyone laid eyes on a buck yet this summer that they are sure will be a shooter this year?

Right now I have one in PA and one in Ohio that I think may be shooters. To early to tell yet how long of tine length that they will have. Neither one will be a monster though.

I know of a couple that made it thru last year that should be good, but I haven't seen them yet. Still early though and I didn't get pics of either of them until after the velvet came off last year.
steelhead125 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page