Banning deer scent lures - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Banning deer scent lures

Would you have a problem with the PGC banning the use fo urine based scent lures to minimize the spread of CWD?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Banning deer scent lures

Nope, not at all!

--So there is no confusion, I mean yes I would support the ban.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ban away if it's an effective way of limiting the spread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Banned

I would support the ban.

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM

Are they even talking about it???

Aren't the pen raised deer tested for it?? Or can't live deer be tested??
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Let's say every hunter in the state uses 6oz of the stuff each season. Truthfully PA hunters dont all use the stuff anyway, so the actual amount would be considerably less. Then consider that the state's approx one million deer each pee atleast that amount several times each day, 365 days a year. The collective amount we hunters use amounts toad drop in the bucket. It's just another fear tactic knee jerk reaction and nothing about it's use has been documented to contribute to the spread of the disease. Everyone involved needs to stick to the facts. Cwd has been around for decades. Even the hardest hit regions still have huntable deer and elk populations. I live smack in the middle of the cwd zone from last fall. The one in which thousands of deer tested failed to produce one single positive. I killed a buck less than one mile from one of the old suspect deer pens. And after all the hoopla lo and behold the disease turned up a hundred miles away in the wild herd. We will not contain it or prevent it. But we can learn to live with it and stop treating it like the apocalypse. Show me proof that a bottle of Tinks spreads the disease and I'll buy you a drink. Till then, no, I will not support it. I think it's ridiculous.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Sage

I'm not stating that there is a definitive link, I'm not sure that there is. But I do know that if one bottle was found to have one CWD causing prion, I'd support a total ban...no matter how little it is compared to how much deer urinate naturally.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzinstripes
Let's say every hunter in the state uses 6oz of the stuff each season. Truthfully PA hunters dont all use the stuff anyway, so the actual amount would be considerably less. Then consider that the state's approx one million deer each pee atleast that amount several times each day, 365 days a year. The collective amount we hunters use amounts toad drop in the bucket. It's just another fear tactic knee jerk reaction and nothing about it's use has been documented to contribute to the spread of the disease. Everyone involved needs to stick to the facts. Cwd has been around for decades. Even the hardest hit regions still have huntable deer and elk populations. I live smack in the middle of the cwd zone from last fall. The one in which thousands of deer tested failed to produce one single positive. I killed a buck less than one mile from one of the old suspect deer pens. And after all the hoopla lo and behold the disease turned up a hundred miles away in the wild herd. We will not contain it or prevent it. But we can learn to live with it and stop treating it like the apocalypse. Show me proof that a bottle of Tinks spreads the disease and I'll buy you a drink. Till then, no, I will not support it. I think it's ridiculous.
Yep. All CWD plans have been pretty much ineffective. What hunters do by placing bait or by using urine is a gnat in the state of Alaska.

I oppose the banning of feeding deer or using urine based scents until I see any hard connection to those activities contributing to the spread of CWD.

What has happened by some of these knee jerk reactions is harm to our sport and industry.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 12:16 AM

Banning feeders would be a much better start IMO....feeders are known disease spreaders....

I've had numerous deer come in to my useless pee...haven't had one eat it or actually put its nose in it...
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzinstripes
There are no more American Chestnuts now because of one tree that was donatated to New York. From that one tree it spread across the whole nation. Unless you know for sure that it won't spread it why take the chance?

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page