Biologist want concurrent buck and doe season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Biologist want concurrent buck and doe season

Biologists in the Pennsylvania Game Commission's Deer and Elk Section will recommend a return to statewide concurrent, 12-day firearms seasons for antlered and antlerless deer to the Board of Game Commissioners at the April 14-15 meeting.

View full size
Jose E Rodriguez took this photo of a row of white-tailed deer emerging from the wood line into his backyard in Dauphin County. Share your Pennsylvania wildlife photos with readers of The Patriot-News and www.PennLive.com/outdoors by sending them, with your name and hometown, to [email protected].
SPECIAL TO THE PATRIOT-NEWS At Monday's pre-meeting working group session, Christopher Rosenberry, supervisor of the section, said, "The seven-day season (in which hunters in some of the state's 22 wildlife management units had an antlered-only week followed by a week of concurrent antlered and antlerless) did not achieve its biological objective." Deer populations in some non-concurrent WMUs boomed, despite increased numbers of doe licenses issued to keep them under control.

In addition, he said, most hunters were not satisfied with the results of the seven-day season, which they ranked as the least preferred alternative to the 12-day concurrent season. The non-current season did not have a "second opening day effect," in which hunters would have been attracted to travel to the WMUs with the non-current seasons.

He said the 12-day season recommendation is based on results of population monitoring studies on nearly 2,300 tagged deer and the results from surveys of 26,000 hunters over the past four years.

In the surveys, Rosenberry said, while hunters over age 45 show a decided preference for the seven-day concurrent season, those under age 45 said they preferred the 12-day concurrent season.

"The 12-day concurrent season is preferred by Pennsylvania's future hunters and their mentors," he said, noting that the seven-day antlered-only season also limited time to hunt, for those hoping to harvest antlerless deer. He pointed to other commission research that has found "time to hunt translates into more interest in hunting."

However, he explained, "we're not recommending 12-day concurrent to reduce the deer population, and we're not recommending the 12-day season to increase hunter satisfaction."

If commissioners vote to return to the statewide, concurrent, firearms season, Rosenberry said, commission biologists will recommend fewer doe licenses for 2013-14: 369,000, rather than the 417,000 they would feel compelled to recommend with the split firearms season in some WMUs.

By WMU, the recommended allocations for a 12-day concurrent season, and for a five-day antlered and seven-day concurrent season, are:

WMU 1A, 49,000, 57,000; WMU 1B, 31,000, 35,000; WMU 2A, 50,000, 58,000; WMU 2B, 62,000, 71,000; WMU 2C, 46,000, 51,000; WMU 2D, 46,000, 65,000; WMU 2E, 22,000, 22,000; WMU 2F, 23,000, 29,000; WMU 2G, 25,000, 32,000; WMU 2H, 4,000, 6,000; WMU 3A, 26,000, 30,000; WMU 3B, 36,000, 39,000; WMU 3C, 30,000, 44,000; WMU 3D, 49,000, 57,000; WMU 4A, 36,000, 41,000; WMU 4B, 20,000, 24,000; WMU 4C, 35,000, 40,000; WMU 4D, 30,000, 35,000; WMU 4E, 27,000, 28,000; WMU 5A, 26,000, 29,000; WMU 5B, 61,000, 71,000; WMU 5C, 108,000, 125,000; WMU 5D, 18,000, 21,000

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Re: Biologist want concurrent buck and doe season

Would love to know the definition of "boomed" amd how they arrived at that determination.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:05 PM
dce
Sage

I think it depends on what WMU.I live in what is now 2H and the deer population has been rising steadily the last few years.I'm not sure I'd say it's boomed but there's no lack of deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Im part of the under 45 group that would like to see a 2 week buck season followed by a 3 day doe season
post #5 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

I am 45 so not sure which way I am supposed to be stereotyped as.
post #6 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Banned

So you want to go back to square one? A three day doe season would undue the good that has been done by HR and we would be right back again down the road with the deer wars.

post #7 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They state they are no doing it for a decrease in population or hunter satisfaction. So then why are they doing it? Money!! They want to keep the young hunters involved. They figure heck on the older guys that have been hunting for 45 + years. I am 40 and know that the combined season only wipes out the heard. They are not worried about the hunter that know what is going on. They are all about numbers because the ones that come out that one time a year like trout season and never hunt or fish again. Brought them the al mighty dollar and since they are feeling it in the pocket, they want whats best for them not the future of the deer population as a whole across the state. We see it first hand being out in our neck of the woods. The game commission hardly ever set foot enough to see the true damage. They need to take a walk instead of visiting butcher shops. some places are devastated and even if they cut tags by a few its all --. The tag cut is minimal at best. They forget the 45+ also take out the mentored youth. They put fences around some forest areas with little to no deer population. The sign state when the deer can reach the browse from the fence. The fence will be removed, Thats a april fools joke because there are no deer to reach the browse. Especially in forbes state forest. There is less than 1 deer per sgaure mile. This is because of the combined season and over hunting that also hurt other game. Rock run is now the dead forest thanks to the Pa Game Comm... I would be glad to take them on a tour over there in 2C. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
post #8 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Would love to know the definition of "boomed" amd how they arrived at that determination.
Because in each of the initial 4 WMU's and followed by the next 7 split - there is a decrease on average of 20% in the antlerless harvest. The initial four WMU's are in year five coming up.

The others are in years four through 2 years depending on when they went split.

20% fewer deer harvested per season compounded by the natural population increase the following spring.

I know the sound is bad, but this was addressed in some detail during the working meeting yesterday.

http://www.livestream.com/pagamecommissi...medium=ui-thumb

Sound quality comes and goes, but you can get a real good idea on what is happening in the woods. Turn the sound up all the way - mostly very even in volume from then out.

Don't they are doing it for the social aspect of the program. That is exactly how the split season came about. initially it was to be four WMU's being studied for four years. They added three more the following year. more after that making 11 out of 22 WMU's split concurrent.

Now people are complaining about not being able to use the tags in the first week. A mostly generational split as discussed in the post above - and on the video.

Your entitled to your position (Money!), but you cheapen and dismiss the entire preposition of hunters as conversationalist. Wise use of the resources, be it wildlife, mineral, timber, or other things. using it now making sure it is there in the future.

I hunt 2C. Matter of fact I hunt Forbes but mostly GL 51. I do not know what area you are hunting. But on 51 and the little I have been on GL 111, Ohiopyle SP and surrounding areas, there is absolutely no shortage of deer.

I will not and am not rating your areas unless they mirror my areas. But, I do know that if you travel anywhere out there in late summer or fall in the evening hours - you are going to see piles of deer. Just my personal experience.

Deer are where they are on any given day due to the availability of the things they need - for them - at the moment.

Deer are never in any spot we wish them to be, for any reason unless the above is happening.

That my friend is deer hunting 101.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #9 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM

The PGC always pulls the science card so let's see the science behind "boomed". Going to statewide concurrent is going to cause some grief for some. The science to back up the "boomed" comment would be good to see moving forward.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 237 (permalink) Old 04-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Sage

Thing is, staff never wanted the split concurrent. Now with the new information over several years they want it less.

From the article:

Deer populations in some non-concurrent WMUs boomed, despite increased numbers of doe licenses issued to keep them under control.

In addition, he said, most hunters were not satisfied with the results of the seven-day season, which they ranked as the least preferred alternative to the 12-day concurrent season. The non-current season did not have a "second opening day effect," in which hunters would have been attracted to travel to the WMUs with the non-current seasons.

He said the 12-day season recommendation is based on results of population monitoring studies on nearly 2,300 tagged deer and the results from surveys of 26,000 hunters over the past four years.

In the surveys, Rosenberry said, while hunters over age 45 show a decided preference for the seven-day concurrent season, those under age 45 said they preferred the 12-day concurrent season.

"The 12-day concurrent season is preferred by Pennsylvania's future hunters and their mentors," he said, noting that the seven-day antlered-only season also limited time to hunt, for those hoping to harvest antlerless deer. He pointed to other commission research that has found "time to hunt translates into more interest in hunting."

<span style="font-weight: bold">However, he explained, "we're not recommending 12-day concurrent to reduce the deer population, and we're not recommending the 12-day season to increase hunter satisfaction."</span>

///////

If you watch the part three of the working group meeting you can see that embolden statement in it entirety - they is more though that captures the essence.

There was a very deliberate change in tone of voice when he said that. Seemingly making sure the BOC didn't take the discussion as a strong nod to returning to the concurrent season.

If any one watches the vid, I do agree that 4A, 5A, 2C, and I think 5B are all in or very close to the CWD areas. As such, all need to be concurrent seasons. Just my opinion, but as stated in the vid - the GC needs more harvest to determine the breath and spread of the disease.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page