The reduction of hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The reduction of hunters

The reduction of hunters

I see the negative, even if it is negative. I see judgment on hunting opportunities come mainly from one square mile in one whole state. One hunter has a poor year; deer are down in that square mile. Hunting is up positively; up on that other one square mile.
Hunters have a tendency to hunt the same square mile. The familiar become habit. When I was young and driving a vehicle myself, I would hunt a square mile with acquaintances. If I had more days to hunt, and still unsuccessful, it was off by myself, to a better square mile that I had previously scouted, with often success. I wasn't tied to the same one square mile.

In the present state I'm in, we have a lot of leased hunting land. Not only are hunters tied to the same square mile because of any habit, they have good lease money tied up in one square mile. If they have tree stands up, a now popular hunting product, they are really tied to part of the one square mile. They start a small food plot, they're really tied to one square mile.

I have one state I hope to hunt this year. Have over five places of public land I plan to hunt over a five day span. It could be a one, two or three day hunt. But I'll search out the best places over the five days, and hit the best one, the last day, depending on harvest success. It might succeed; it might fail. But I won't be tied to the same square mile. Too long a drive to do that. And I won't have another hunter to agree on changing a spot. It proved impossible back years ago to get hunters I knew, to move to my newly discovered square mile.

It could be negative on my part. I haven't held to one square mile. I'll have to be negative by myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
The Man

Re: The reduction of hunters

GET OFF MY ISLAND!!!!

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 12:53 PM

One (1) square mile, appx. 640 acres, is a LARGE amount of land to hunt properly, if you can roam the entire square mile without bumping into 50 others. Do you realize how long it takes to walk the perimeter of 1 square mile at a normal pace ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Sage

I get your point. Hunters tend to be "site specific". When the deer polulation drops on that site, a lot of guys think hunting is ruined. Guys that thought they were great hunters back when they shot a spike or a forkie every year on their one square mile, now are learning that they might not be as good as they thought. So, what is the most reasonable reaction: Change your square mile or blame the game commission?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

There is a post with many pages on this same subject. Do we need two?

post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
I get your point. Hunters tend to be "site specific". When the deer polulation drops on that site, a lot of guys think hunting is ruined. Guys that thought they were great hunters back when they shot a spike or a forkie every year on their one square mile, now are learning that they might not be as good as they thought. So, what is the most reasonable reaction: Change your square mile or blame the game commission?
These large amounts of snow right after gun season show the main problem. There are plenty of deer they are staying where they are being fed. When the feed gets snowed and iced over the deer move naturaly like they should and move to neighboring properties. If all this feeding was stopped the deer would have to move from 1 area to another. So it leaves you with 2 choices, either feed like 85% of hunters are doing now or get in a lease thats got plenty of feed for deer and turkeys. The farm i hunt for turkeys has none on near bow season through the first of the year then there are tons, why would that be? It was never like that till 2 adjoining properties were made into deer farms. That is why hunters are thinking there are no deer and quiting. And it is true on many properties you would think the deer and turkey were completly cleaned out ride around and check them properties once these hunters quit feeding like I said and you will see there are deer. It would be nice if all these hunters who say they are not feeding would quit, hunters would see some game and maybe not leave the sport. But many hunters want other hunters to quit because they think all that feed is going to make a Kansas buck. Most big deer I see killed does not even excite me as most are taken off properties that feed and let them grow. I'm a hunter not a farmer. These farmers are killing our sport. That is the only change that I know has made some hunters quit. And we do not have the hunters here we used to have. The resteraunts were packed every morning on the first day of gun, and the first saturday. There was so many hunters they had special breakfasts for them. We do not have that now because we do not have the hunters. So the PGC, needs to find more realistic numbers. Orange is easy to see, and there is not nowhere near what there was 10 years ago.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Banned

85% of hunters feeding deer,really? I don't think so.

post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Shooter
Quote:
These large amounts of snow right after gun season show the main problem. There are plenty of deer they are staying where they are being fed. When the feed gets snowed and iced over the deer move naturaly like they should and move to neighboring properties. If all this feeding was stopped the deer would have to move from 1 area to another. So it leaves you with 2 choices, either feed like 85% of hunters are doing now or get in a lease thats got plenty of feed for deer and turkeys. The farm i hunt for turkeys has none on near bow season through the first of the year then there are tons, why would that be? It was never like that till 2 adjoining properties were made into deer farms. That is why hunters are thinking there are no deer and quiting. And it is true on many properties you would think the deer and turkey were completly cleaned out ride around and check them properties once these hunters quit feeding like I said and you will see there are deer. It would be nice if all these hunters who say they are not feeding would quit, hunters would see some game and maybe not leave the sport. But many hunters want other hunters to quit because they think all that feed is going to make a Kansas buck. Most big deer I see killed does not even excite me as most are taken off properties that feed and let them grow. I'm a hunter not a farmer. These farmers are killing our sport. That is the only change that I know has made some hunters quit. And we do not have the hunters here we used to have. The resteraunts were packed every morning on the first day of gun, and the first saturday. There was so many hunters they had special breakfasts for them. We do not have that now because we do not have the hunters. So the PGC, needs to find more realistic numbers. Orange is easy to see, and there is not nowhere near what there was 10 years ago.
Where did you get the statistic that 85% of hunters feed deer? Please provide a link to that study or poll.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Sage

85% seems a little high.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

For the life of me I can't remember shooting spikes and forkies on my square my going back over 28 seasons now.

Maybe you were just stereotyping the guys who are having tough hunting to get your point across.

Most guys hunt an area at a time. Most guys have many areas. Some are favorite areas because of past hunts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page