buyin a new bear cal - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

buyin a new bear cal

hey guys im just wondering what you take on few calibers im lookin at... iu shoot a .300 mag now for deer and bear but i was thinking of buyin a gun just for bear.... i was lookin at .338mag .300 ultra mag .444 marlin .450 marlin .300weatherby mag

"The only reason I work is so I could afford to hunt and fish"

Mopar or No Car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Re: buyin a new bear cal

are you talking about to use on PA black bear?
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 PM

No need for a big boomer for black bear, now if you are planning on hunting the browns or grizz's thats a different ballgame! I have carried my 7-08,30-06, 35 whelen (which is my personal favorite) and my 444.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 PM
Regular Visitor

Those are some mighty big calibers for black bears, if that's what your asking about. I know my buddies dad used a .338 for his bull moose hunt. That's over kill for black bear is your askin me.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Go with the .444 or .450 Marlin lever gun. You will need a short heavy rifle for when you are driving those laurel patches. Shots are usually under 100 yds.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

Shot Xxl brown bear & very large black bear with 338 ...
Hammer of Thor, bang down..
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 PM

Can someone please explain how big guns "aren't needed" or "overkill" for.black bear???? Not all bear are under 200lbs...especially in PA...how many get killed over 500lbs in PA?? Its a decent enough percentage...

Ever skin and butcher a bear?? Ive done a cub...a true cub under 100lbs..the structure of it was amazing...the bone and hide is so much heavier than a deer...not to mention the fat...

I couldnt imagine what a 500+ pound bear...

Sure perfect shots mean a dead critter....but, hit the shoulder of a goodun with a light gun and bullet...someone will finish him off for you...

Bullet construction is huge...not only caliber....

If you are a serious bear hunter, buying a bear sized rifle would be a good move IMO..

Really comes down to selecting the rifle you are comfortable and then deciding what caliber you can get it in....levers are a league of their own for the.most part....remmy pumps are limited....i am a pump gun shooter..they fit my hunting style and shoulder like a gun should...i went with a 35 whelen shooting 225gr accubonds under a stiff charge...

Another perk of having a dedicated bear rifle is it is an excuse to buy a new rifle...more range time and practice..another rifle for deer should your primary rifle ever go down...

Id carry deer calibers if thats all i had and would load them with partitions or accubonds or other good bonded bullet...
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 PM

If you want some of the Ultimate Bear Medicine, look no further than a now, sadly, obsolete caliber in the Winchester .348. Not a belted magnum that rattles the teeth.

The late father-in-law got a Win lever action in that .348, that puppy pushes a 220 grain nugget of death an just the right speed for accuracy at bear distances and my gosh, shoot it in low light an FLAME shoots out the barrel.

And, when before she (was silly enough to) became Mrs. DFA, as a little ol' 105 pound high school cheerleader, she could put them all in the six-inch kill zone with this combination. It was surprisingly gentle, that big chunk of lead ate a lot of the recoil.

Too bad the world had to become fascinated with hyper velocities of those belted magnums, each and every animal that Win .348 ever was fired at wore a tag. And whatever it hit, that target knew it was hit, big time.

Sorry for the nostalgia, but that gun is great to shoulder and shoot with those open sights and lever action. On a deer sized target, it's coming off it's feet and flying sideways in the opposite direction.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin951
Those are some mighty big calibers for black bears...........

Here we go again..............

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My bear gun used to be a .350 Rem Mag(which I think was made specifically for PA Bear). I have down sized to a .338 Federal. I feel you shoot shoot whayever caliber you are comfortable shooting accurately.
JMHO
Dave

ONLY THE DUMBEST SHEEP ELECT THEIR BUTCHERS

3D in PA
7R in NY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page