Out west - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Out west

Looking for some information. My dad and I want to head out west to hunt this fall. Hoping to hunt elk but if that is not possible a deer hunt will do. We have had the itch to get out for a few years and my dad isnt getting any younger. Not looking for an outrageous trip, something for a couple grand. Also, not looking at any state in particular. If anybody has any input or names of people to contact I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 AM

Re: Out west

Lots of public ground in CO. Great hunt, absolutely gorgeous state, lots of elk and big mule deer. DYI hunts are relatively cheap, $550 for out of state bull tags that can be bought over the counter in 2nd and 3rd rifle, muledeer are around $350. Archery hunts are fun too but you have to work for it on public ground. Can't recommend hunting that state enough...my buddies and I do it every year, wouldn't miss it!! Best of luck, cross it off the Bucket List and just do it

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 12:30 AM

huntfinder.com

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 01:36 AM

Trophy Mountain Outfitters - www.trophymountainoutfitters.com

SGT
United States Marine Corps
1992 to 1997
HMH-464 Avionics
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Broken Arrow Lodge out of Alder, MT. Small family run operation in the heart of the biggest elk herd in Montana. Erwin and Sherri run a great operation and really take good care of you! Best of luck with your search!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:00 AM
The Man

I do the colorado deal also like mentioned plenty of ground and most places 2-3 rd rifle bull otc. There are trophy units recquiring 15+ years of drawing. Mule deer is tough draw at least in the areas i hunted units 52, 62. you need around 3 points to draw. There public ground is called BLM plenty of it around 60% of the state is blm. Call the Colorado DOW office and talk to them, they are the most helpful people you will see. Hunting brings in 300 million a year to Co. and they appreciate our business. I have been building points in Wyoming havent hunted it yet. Make sure you read up on game laws out west they are 100% different from ours and a screw up you might be taking a second mortage on your home. Treaspassing is pet pieve its not someone just raising afew words its loss of lic. and heavy fine and they do not have to post there ground. There can be a section of private in the middle of Blm and you better know where it is. Dyi can work but go ahead of time to scout, there are motels and cabins to rent. Most of the time your not going to find an outfitter less than 3k. at minium. Figure that plus lic. travel, and have to have gadgets 5k real easy. Good luck to you and be looking soon those states start there draw application anytime now till spring. Even if you dont go this year make the contact and start building preference points for future than.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No doubt Colorado 2nd rifle. DIY over the counter. We went out three times now and have taken plenty of mule deer, 4 5x5 elk and a 6x6 elk all on public land outside of Craig Colorado. Great town with plenty of elk and easy access. I'd say we averaged 40-50% success on elk and a little better on mule deer.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearklr
No doubt Colorado 2nd rifle. DIY over the counter. We went out three times now and have taken plenty of mule deer, 4 5x5 elk and a 6x6 elk all on public land outside of Craig Colorado. Great town with plenty of elk and easy access. I'd say we averaged 40-50% success on elk and a little better on mule deer.
How many points does it take for 2or 3rd rifle around Craig?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Southfork mountain lodge & outfitters. Buffalo WY.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big28hunter
Broken Arrow Lodge out of Alder, MT. Small family run operation in the heart of the biggest elk herd in Montana. Erwin and Sherri run a great operation and really take good care of you! Best of luck with your search!
Broken arrow is booked for their 1st week of rifle elk hunts until 2016

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page