My 2012 Flintlock buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

My 2012 Flintlock buck

I love flintlock season and hope it never changes. My wife thinks that I purposely do not shoot deer so that I can hunt during flintlock. LOL

I had the opportunity to go out yesterday in the morning and the evening. Morning found me waking up at around 7 am as I forgot to set my alarm. I did not panic and figured I will still go out. As I walked to my usual area, I decided to set up in a ground blind. That lasted all of about 5 minutes. I like seeing the woods, not being stuck inside..... So, I walked to the end of a little point with a bench I know deer use right below. I was making my way in the snow looking for deer as they bed there frequently. Up ahead, I noticed a doe. I immediately sat down and had no tree or anything to lean on. My feet were tucked under me as well. Stupid me! The deer started to slowly feed from right to left. I eventually could not stand it any longer and had to move my feet. The deer did not even notice and they were only 50 to 60 yards away. I watched them for awhile when 3 left and the others decided to bed down in sight of me. I was scanning the woods and noticed deer behind me on the ridge, about 70 yards in front of my blind. 2 doe and 2 buck. It was awesome to sit and watch as the buck began to spar. I thought, this is awesome. I eventually became rather chilled and still from sitting in one spot. I did not see the buck anymore nor did I have any clue how big they were. Oh well. I stood up and the does below me spooked and the doe above me did as well.

I decided to go home and get warm. I went back out at around 3pm. I kept thinking that I had not used my tree stand all year and maybe it was time. As soon as I climbed up the stand, I saw three doe. Something crashed to my right and a doe came flying over. She stood in front of me for about 20 minutes then bedded down 20 yards away. Then, more deer showed up from my right. One was a little 6 point with a half rack. I dismissed the idea of shooting him for some reason. More deer arrived farther down in front of me. Not sure what they were as they were way too far. After a period of time the does got up and left. Not more than 10 minutes later, I spotted movement to my left again. 5 deer and they were all buck. Only one was a shooter, so I pulled up the flinter and aimed. Then I stopped and questioned myself.....Ugh.While debating, another deer grunted off to my right. I looked for it but could not locate anything. I went back to the buck which was still there and said, this would be a nice flintlock buck. So I aimed again and slowly pulled the trigger, spark, flash, kaboom.....Buck jumps takes off and drops in sight. Pretty cool experience. Thanks for reading. Total deer spotted was 31, 9 definite buck. I love flintlock season. Sorry for the sign, it was late and I forgot to take a picture without the sign.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: My 2012 Flintlock buck

Great day for you!

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 PM
The Man

Awesome ! Congrats !

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks, any day I can get out is a fantastic day...lol I honestly just enjoy being alive and spending time with faminly or being in the woods.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoyinlife
Thanks, any day I can get out is a fantastic day...lol I honestly just enjoy being alive and spending time with faminly or being in the woods.
Thats what it's all about!Congrats again!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Wow!! That is a heck of a late season trophy right there. Congrats to you.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 PM

Congrats!
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!

The best guns go off with a rock in the lock....
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great buck! Congrats
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats....awesome job

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page