Alaska Hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Alaska Hunting

I am starting the beginning of planning a moose hunt in Alaska with my son who is stationed in Fairbanks. Just hoping to get some information , best time of year. Is there good areas within driving distance of Fairbanks . Better bow or rifle? Tons of other ? Doing allot of cruising the net for info but usually find more help on here. Thanks

Cowards die many times before their deaths: The valiant never taste of death but once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 03:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Alaska Hunting

I have a DIY moose hunt planned for Alaska for 2015. I wish I could go earlier but I'm booked for 2013 and 2014 already. I have a couple friends that have done it and they both have told me the work starts when it hits the ground. There is a lot of good info out there. From Alaska's Fish & Game website, dvd's, books, and even sites such as this. Being your boy's already there you certainly have a leg up on others coming from the lower 48 blind. Have him get in contact with the base Fish & Game and they can surely help the two of you out. I have been buying every book and dvd on moose I can in preparation for this trip. I have hunted in Alaska twice DIY but for much smaller critters sitka blacktail and barren ground caribou. Both trips I had hairy experiences with big bears. Safety is paramount in the Alaskan wild. I wish you the best of luck and thank your boy for his service to our great country. Good huntin'
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 04:50 AM

Having been stationed at Eielson myself twice (eight years total) and Elmendorf (Anchorage) for another eight years I can tell hunting the road system is hard but not impossible. I would first look down around Fort Greely in Delta Junction, there's some old burn areas down there that hold a lot of moose, hopefully your son has a four wheeler or access to some. Second, If your son has a boat, they can also be rented at Fort Wainwright I would cross the Tanana and head towards the mountains. They only problem there is you need a four wheeler, you can get one in the boat but I don't know how much experience your son has boating but remember Alaska can be a very hard place and nonforgiving. Third, I have seen some really nice moose come from the back side of Wainwright it joins Eielson and there is thousands of acres back there. If you need any info at all let me know, I know some more areas further away and I don't know how far you plan or how long you have to hunt. My son is a bush pilot in Anchorage and I know he has some spots. Let me know if you need anything at all and I will be gald to help.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

thanks i am sure i will be hitting you guys with some more ? as i go got a lot to look at now.

Cowards die many times before their deaths: The valiant never taste of death but once.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd love to do a DIY moose hunt in Alaska. Congrats on starting to make it a reality. I've seen quite a bit of info on this topic on bowsite, you might want to go there and read back through the posts.

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another great site to check out is on your own adventures!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2013, 12:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are floatplane carriers out of Fairbanks that can get you into good moose areas..Just remember where the moose are there are big bears..Have a couple guys go with you some with large caliber rifles with premium bullets..45/70 or 375 H&H...Some guys are using those electric fences around their tents with good success...And be sure to take large size pepper spray...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

my son was out riding around learning the area watched a couple run acrost the road about 5 miles from his house.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM

although iv'e never hunted in alaska, iv'e spent some time there. from my experience, and what the locals tell me, is that if is accessable by road it gets hunted hard. even many of the locals fly in or raft the rivers to get away from the crowds.

Pence/Putin 2024

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page