Would we extinct deer given the chance? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Would we extinct deer given the chance?

Just a thought, with all the Doe harvest talk.

If the PGC closed its doors today, and anyone could harvest as many deer as they wanted, anywhere, anytime, and by any weapon, would we as hunters govern ourselves or would we extinct the deer population? Here is the criteria:

No license, fees, or tags.
Can hunt 24/7/365 even at night.
Can shoot from a vehicle.
Can use atv's and drive anywhere.
Can shoot as many as you want, either sex
No age restrictions
No weapon constrictions, you can use a rifle anytime, even a semi-auto.
What i'm saying is complete anarchy, with no rules or regulations or consequences.

I know I would shoot less. I would still make sure I had enough for the year, but I would not donate to Hunters for the Hungry any longer. I would shoot less because I know others would shoot more. So, are we able to govern ourselves, or does this have to be treated as a democratic "big-brother" watching over us?

Just hypothetical and seeing if you think we could pull together and govern ourselves as sportsman, or if we would be like ants on an ant-hill and destroy ourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Would we extinct deer given the chance?

they wouldn't be extinct but would be over hunted to very very low numbers as they were before
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
seeing if you think we could pull together and govern ourselves as sportsman
I doubt it and I think a free-for-all with hunting would severely impact deer populations. In fact, I believe that is why the PGC came to be in the first place with over-hunting of all wildlife.

The funny thing about deer, when trying to eradicate them with regulation, it has been proven that it can't be done. Yet we are nowhere near trying to do that with the management plan in place here in PA and some say it has been done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:57 PM
CBB
Frequent Contributor

Personally my opinion (and i am entitled to it) the hung rs feeding the hungry program is for people who want to kill but not eat..if a hunter has enough venison for himself/family then filling a tag to donate is a feel good cause to justify pulling the trigger.. sorry but thats my opinion..

Now onto the question at hand. Public lands would be void of deer. But with all the posted property there would still be a few left. Big buck would all get shot off by jacklighters..
And no the hunting community would not band together for the greater good.. that should be proven by all the infighting already.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:02 PM

In a free for all with no regulation the deer and other wildlife would be doomed. Just think if there were no regulation and we went back to the market killing days how that would impact the herd. People would be out trying to kill as many deer and other wildlife as possible to sell to the "meat market", butcher shops,restaurants,etc would create a market for the wild game meat. This wild meat market would become very profitable for people to go out and shoot everything in sight and as the numbers of wildlife fall the market would adjust by increasing the price per pound until there was no more left to shoot.

Even without market hunting profit there would just be too many out there that would shoot as many as they could till deer would become extinct.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 PM

Any of you guys ever drive through an Indian reservation? That's pretty much what the OP is describing....and game is very scarce from my observations.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The mentality would be there but the laziness of the average hunter would prevent it.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Mankind has never been able to self regulate. Populations would be hunted to near extinction. There are plenty of people who would just shoot them and let hem lay.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

It is the attitude among some at pgc that we can't kill to many and too few deer does not matter that has us in the mess we are today.

Would we kill them off? Probably. They killed them off with muskets. In some areas, the predators and very little hunting are keeping the herd from growing.

No doubt. Lots of people with questionable morals would be legally shooting all they could, and extinction would be automatic if legal.

Heck, I'd be half tempted to shoot the last one myself, just so all the foolishness surrounding the deer wars could end once and for all.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Sage

It wouldn't be possible to extirpate them. But their numbers would be so low that they would take on the status of bigfoot as far as sightings went.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page