Would you support a DMAP style format for SGL's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581
Would you support a DMAP style format for SGL's

Im certain most have you have read my idea on the dmap style format for game lands so I want to see how everyone feels, am I out in left field or does this make sense.

Basically, all game lands would be handled via a dmap system in which a recommended allocation of antlerless permits would be given for that specific game lands. The catch being though that no other antlerless tag would be valid in this area(this is the change from standard dmap). What I think this would accomplish is spreading out the pressure. Just like a normal DMAP system the tags would be taken from the general pool for the containing WMU. All remaining tags would be valid only in state forest or on private land.

Lets see where we stand.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:26 PM
The Man

Re: Would you support a DMAP style format for SGL's

Looks good on paper to help over harvest on GL's , but we have a lot of them that are way to small. It would be a battle over who is awarded tags.

NRA,UBP,DU,DELTA

post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:37 PM

I think this would make alot of hunters happy. No issue with handing out tags with the computer system, with county treasures doing it... another story. The computer system is capable of doing something like this, NY state does a method for handing out tags that would work great for this system. I would also go this way with state forrest and state parks. one stipulation, if you dont report the required harvest info you will NOT get a tag the next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

Go back to the old Doe days "Period" , raise the License fees to keep the Greedy Politicans Happy ,that'll do it, What's the worst that could happen. ????? More Deer the following Season . **
I have seen this in NY now is happening in Ohio , Game Commissions have the same "PLAN" in ALL those states . What They don't realize is that They are dong away with Their Own Jobs in The Future and the Folks and interest in Deer Hunting along with Their Jobs .How They Figure Thst's a Good Idea....DUH
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:00 PM

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i would if it included SF land as well. and somehow we have to figure out how to thin the herds on private posted property in a lot of areas without PO'ing the landowner. that is the key and the hardest part of all.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see too many private property owners driving public land that adjoins their property for this proposal to work.
It would be a nightmare to control.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 PM
DDX
Frequent Contributor

Managed access is the key to quailty hunting on any property. Google "The Tragedy of the Commons" Its a classic metaphor used to illustrate the conflict between individual interests and the common good. It pretty much shows that "public" anything is doomed to fail.
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:30 PM

i'm not opposed to this, and i'm not trying to argue, but i'm not sure how it can work in the real world. one reason sgl's get pounded is cuz everyone goes there. where are those hunters going to go now that sgl's are permit only for antlerless deer? iv'e been told for years theres no access to private ground, so those hunters would get shut out if they didn't have a permit. i'm just not sure this solves a problem, but it does create a new one.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-21-2012, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

Maybe it would need some sort of preference system to go along with it. Hunters like in western states would have to accept that they might not draw a tag in their favorite area every year.

Maybe you pick 3 sgls for example and if you dont draw your #1 pick you get 1 preference point going into the following season. This would only be an issue on highly sought Game lands until things stabilized and many became just as good as the next.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page