Just a thought - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Just a thought

So I've been looking at all the buck pics here and noticed most people are tagging their buck on the antlers with a zip tie....... Just wanted to point out it's an ear tag and according to the 2012-2013 digest this is ILLEGAL. The deer buck or doe must be tagged thru the ear.

Not scrutinizing anyone for it, just a little warning, it'd be a real slap in the face if you took a buck lawfully and got smacked with a tagging violation haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Re: Just a thought

I have never saw anyone get fined for tagging an antler. It's usually because the deer is going to be mounted. With nicer bucks these days, a lot of guys are mounting their trophies.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 PM

While it might be technically illegal to tag on the antler I highly doubt any WCO or deputy WCO is going to even mention it let alone cite you for it. It's a letter of the law vs. spirit of the law thing and quite frankly not worth the paperwork. I imagine if you would get cited for such an infraction a magistrate is going to ream the WCO for being a horses back side!

I've been checked with a buck tagged on the antler. WCO never said a word about it accept he asked me to please remove the tape so he could read the tag. It was the old metallic paper tags that were 6" or so long. I would wrap it around the antler and then wrap it with electrical tape to keep it in place.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I almost always zip tie my tag to the antlers, Twice i have had wardens look at my bucks and never said a word. My taxidermist gets mad when people cut their bucks ear. When you take your buck to a taxidermist and he capes it the tag has to go on the antlers anyway.

The older I get the better I was.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 PM
The Man

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM

Some of ya'll never killed bucks on SGL 198 I take it.....
Nor should you pin your tag to a does ear with your old license holder when dragging out said deer sans weapon or string/tie to affix tag otherwise.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just be HAPPY they are taged
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM
The Man

And whats wrong with that? A spare lic. holder works very well and doesent tear off. Also if you have a good drive home it sure isnt going to blow off.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

If i every got fined for tagging on the antlers that would be the last the time i ever filled out a tag!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 PM

I donít think any WCO cares if the tag is on the antlers or the ear as long as the tag is properly filled out.

It does become important to have the tag stay with the head if the buck is going to be a processorís. If the tag is on the antlers and then the hunter takes the antlers there is nothing on the head when the deer processing teams arrive to input the data needed to develop an accurate harvest estimate. That lack of usable data then means you donít get a harvest estimate with the best possible margin of error and ultimately a higher possibility of management errors in the future.

When you leave your deer at the butcher shop make sure the tag stays with the head so they can get the best possible harvest data. Other than that I donít think anyone else in the Game Commission really cares where the tag is placed on the head.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page