It's so easy ??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

It's so easy ???

As the usual threads surface about how good or bad the deer season went concerning actual deer sightings, one thing that simply amazes me...is folks who hunt public ground stating that the guys who kill big buck every year on private ground, do so because its easy. That's may be one of the funniest misconceptions out there. Public or private, the hunters who harvest big bucks every year work hard to get them. A lifetime (40+ years) of hunting PA deer through both the "Glory" years and the present has taught me that mature whitetails are experts at avoiding humans. There are guys on this site that could teach most of us "wisdom in application" if we could spend a day in the woods with them. Lots of hunters read/watch TV/research articles about deer hunting but once in the woods can't seem to put that knowledge into practical application. Find a hunter who consistantly harvests big bucks and maybe be forunate enough to learn something. My observations are that they all have a dedication to working hard at what they love and are patient enough to keep at it. Yep...times have changed but big bucks are still tough no matter where you hunt. BTW, I'm the kind that hunts unposted big woods areas most of the time via boot leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: It's so easy ???

Lots if good points, but there's no denying that it is easier on private property.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Over the past 4 years, it has been easier for me to kill deer on public property in Ohio than it is on the private pieces I have permission to hunt...The reason...the public land is bigger and I have less limitations. Deer tendencies change based on food sources from year to year, and the public ground gives me the ability to move further to find them. More restricted with the smaller tracts of private. This is the big woods of Southeast Ohio as well, not the flat farmland you see in the upper part of the state. It can go both ways, and with the right piece of public ground, it can be easier to kill them there than anywhere else. Not all the time...sometimes. There are plenty of other guys who will agree with me on that, even here in PA. Guys who have awesome public ground spots, that produce year after year, and they hunt those spots even though they can hunt private ground.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Part of the Community

Not necessarily easier on private ground. I hunt both public and private and some of the public spots I hunt are better than the private. Not all private ground is created equally.

For instance, one private spot that I hunt is covered in deer as long as there are acorns, but the woods there are mature and severely over browsed. There is zero understory or security cover and if there are no acorns there are no deer. That was the case this season, zero mast and zero deer. I hunted that piece of property 3 times and saw zero deer. I moved over to a piece of public ground which also lacked mast, but there was browse and security cover so it held more deer than the private spot.
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its definitely easier to kill a bigger buck today than 10-15 years because the bucks as a whole are bigger. You wont see as many deer today of course. Your odds of running into a big buck are easier. Couple that with an under hunted private spot and you have a goldmine. No doubt about it.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well killing big buck IS EASY, if you are hunting an area with big buck in it....simple as that. Trying to get pics of the biggest buck I personally saw shot this year. A good friend's son (13YO) made a horrible shot on it, and my friend thinks he found where the buck died at. I saw trail cam pics of it. Ok wanna know how skilled this 13 year old kid was???? He was sitting on a picnic table, the big buck basically walked right up to him and he shot it at 5 paces. Well he learned frontal shots are bad news. They never found it. Another HUGE buck shot two years ago by a roofer I know. He did a job, saw some nice land behind the job. Asked permission. Grabbed his climber after work smelling like sweat, tar and cigarettes. Huge buck walks right up to him. Even HE says they are dumb as rocks. What about the guys on TV?? You mean the ones hunting fenced game farms?? They are selling you products, they aren't hunters. Hate me if ya want, but hunting is ALL and I mean ALL about WHERE YOU ARE HUNTING. If you hunt and area with alot of deer or alot of big buck , your gonna kill one. If your a fantastic hunter who can belly crawl so close to a deer and kill it with a knife and you are hunting public land with virtually no deer on it, you aren't getting squat. So all you guys who managed to find great spots to hunt, that's what you need to be congratulated for. Just don't be so arrogant and tell us how awesome of a hunter you are ok?? For every big buck where they guy worked his tail off to get it, there are 10 to 20 big buck shot by guys in street clothes, wearing cologne who just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

Sorry to ramble, but some of you guys remind me of those TV guys. a blind nun could kill a big buck at some of your spots so get over it

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

^guess who doesn't have a good spot to hunt..bitter much?
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM
The Man

Well you're either hunting the deer or trout, or you're sitting there waiting for them to show up.
Some fellas like the waiting part as they cart a few extra pounds on their frame. Not many have the fitness of a 20 year old paratrooper.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnamahoninggobbler
^guess who doesn't have a good spot to hunt..bitter much?
No just tired of hearing guys brag about what awesome hunters they are hunting on land that is equivalent to a deer farm.
Tell ya what, hunt in the middle of the ANF and then report back all the 120 and 130 class buck you shot there. THEN I'd be impressed!!

BTW Mustang you don't have to be a 20 YO paratrooper, I'm 45 and carrying a little around the belly- yet me and the misses routinely go on 8 to 10 mile hikes in the roughest areas you can think of.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM

I agree if factors are rite it us easy to get a big buck. First u need big buck in area. 2nd that buck can't be pressured. So private land helps a lot. The easiest time to get a big buck is that 1st week of November. If u have the time to put some serious hours in the stand during this time and there are big bucks in the area chances are u are going to get a shot. There takes some knowlege of the woods also. Like where does are. Other times earlier in archery the biggest thing is not letting the buck know u are there. Once they get wind of human presence they are gone. As far as rifle all u have to do us set up on bottleneck and good to hit lottery with big buck coming through. So I guess if u have bucks in the area and no pressure chances are u will get a shot if u put time in. But don't misunderstand. A lot goes into where to put stand and when to use and approach it. So for some it us easy if they know just some basics. It's all about not pressuring them. Having them in area. Predicting their movements. A bit contradictory on my part. U do need some skills to.consistently get a decent buck. As for what us a good buck it all depends on what u like and what is in area.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page