Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Re: NO Deer

Cmon guys all the talking now you got your own post

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

This thread, and it's counterpart, will remain open as long as the discussion remains civil. It will be swiftly removed once the personal slams begin.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Allow me to be the first to post the popcorn guy. My opinion? There are deer in Pa, alot less than the peak times for sure. Still some pockets of the state have that magic combination of food, cover and low hunter pressure. The real "hunting" in this state is to find those areas. Hunting the actual deer is actually the easy part. Finally I've noticed something on HPA. Anyone connected to the PGC in ANY way, always claims there are tons of deer everywhere and you just gotta hunt smarter to find them. Hmmmm very ironic.
So don't look at hunting as killing deer, look at it as time outdoors and a challenge. I mean for me to even SEE a deer is an event, if its after christmas in the late season I'm probably more apt to see bigfoot. Can you imagine if i could actually kill the a deer? It would mean alot more than those guys on private land who seem to kill big buck every year with no effort. So hunting is what you make of it, if killing a deer is your only goal -your setting yourself up for disappointment. Just do like my bumper sticker on my truck says, "annoy a liberal- work hard and be happy"

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I saw deer a grand total of 5, 2 in a safety zone and 3 behind no hunting signs. I hunted everyday on public land. Now I am hunting for a new location.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:34 AM
The Man

Now I'm confused because I don't know which thread to post in. I was able to hunt 7 whole or partial days in rifle season. I hunted 4 whole or partial days in the early muzzy season. Out of 11 days in the woods, (not counting duck or squirrel hunting) I saw deer on only 3 of those days. Last season, I saw deer on one single day during the entire hunting season.
I haven't whined or complained. I've seen (and killed)deer in places where other guys hunting the EXACT same area claim they are GONE! I have a couple in the freezer, and am looking forward to checking out a new place or two with the flintlock.
Yes there are less deer than they used to be; in some areas MUCH less. Sitting around complaining does NOTHING!! They are NOT gone, go find them.

Which kind of hunter am I, deer or no deer?

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Part of the Community

I've never hunted deer until this year. I used satellite imagery to locate clear cuts/clover plots on SGL in 2F. I hiked 6,000ft to the plot, set up behind some lumber, and killed my first buck/deer. It took me 18 hours over 3 days to find that spot.

I spent a few days spooking deer prior to that, and getting skunked in other places on SGL. No trail cams, no private land, no baiting. Killed him on his level, downwind from me. He stared at me thru my scope when I pulled the trigger.

I may never hunt from a tree stand.
Killing a whitetail on public land, from the ground is very difficult. Plain and simple. These animals live in the woods everyday, you show up for one or two days and think you can get the jump on them...
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Banned

I was out every day of rifle season and I saw nine deer. Years ago I could see over 100 deer in rifle season. I realize something had to give but I think it's gone too far in the wrong direction.
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 01:52 PM
dce
Sage

I can't speak about the Lebanon area but it used to be nothing to see 100 deer around here.I also grew up in Wyoming county,not far from Sullivan.It was the same there.You're right though something had to give and it was the habitat.We needed a lot less deer Mike,plain and simple.
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Moose
I was out every day of rifle season and I saw nine deer. Years ago I could see over 100 deer in rifle season. I realize something had to give but I think it's gone too far in the wrong direction.
I agree. I remember when the PGC added the "Bonus" antlerless tags in 1988. The PGC stated at the time that this program would be limited in scope and when the population came down to the optimum level the program would cease. It never ceased and has gone WAY to far in many areas of Pa.primarily IMO the central and NC part of the state.

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page