I miss 3 day doe season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

I miss 3 day doe season

I may be in the minority but I am sure some feel the same way. This morning would be the opener for "doe season" back in the old days and I for one miss the old way it was done. Time was that you could count on more hunters in the woods during the entire two week rifle season chasing buck only. If you heard a shot, it was a buck and I miss that too. Once the last Saturday closed you had a day of rest and preparation then three days of filling your doe tag. It was just a silly old tradition but I liked it and will forever miss those days.

Thoughts?

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:57 AM

Re: I miss 3 day doe season

I liked it too. I miss it a little. I also like the split season we have now though....Mon-Fri buck only, Sat-Sat either. It's a little more like it used to be that way. I just wish they'd do that state wide and be done with it. Rumor has it though that they're going to drop that at the next meeting and go back to full concurrent seasons statewide....I hope not!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am with you guys. I wish they would tack three days of doe on at the end, instead of going back to the two weeks here in 4d. It would be more hunting opportunity. This would be a nice day to go out and still-hunt doe. But, here I sit inside
I can see since we went from the two weeks to one week several yrs ago here in 4d, the doe kill is down. I suppose the PGC does not like this. I am talking my own observations. I don't follow the official harvest numbers.
Give us 3 doe only days for a total of 10 days of doe. Not that different from 12 days.

Support Habitat Conservation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Frequent Contributor

Yep. I miss it too. I'm kind of a sap when it comes to traditions. As a kid today was one of the 3 biggest days of the year. Christmas Day, the 1st day of buck, and the 1st day of doe. Not necessarily in that order....

The Second Ammendment...
Its kind of a big deal.
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Sage

I miss the concurrent rifle season. Makes taking vacation difficult for me. I want to hunt the first day because it is the first day... but if I kill a buck I am done and my vacation is wasted the rest of the week.

Or, like I did this year. Drove up for one day and back that evening. Lots of gas money and time on the road for one day.

I hate they took the opportunity away from hunters in 2C and 10 other WMU's. Just no need for it.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I miss the 3 day doe season also. It was another first day to look forward to. I was hoping that the whole state would go to the split season or that they would have added 1A to the split.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yep, it did add another layer of excitement to hunting season. I never really had problem but I feel that it would be tough for a lot of guys to get those extra couple days of work off. At least in buck season when you heard shots up know it was a a buck. Now these guys really do have the "it's brown it's down" attitude. Anything that moves is legal. "Oh, it's only a forkhorn" and they walk away or everyone just keeps quite about it. At least then, I think more people paid attention to what they were shooting at. I'm might be wrong about that though. I always just remembered those day, everyone gathered again for another opening day. Funny thing is I am more successful now, but those were cool memories. I guess that's what I miss more.
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularJoe
I may be in the minority but I am sure some feel the same way. This morning would be the opener for "doe season" back in the old days and I for one miss the old way it was done. Time was that you could count on more hunters in the woods during the entire two week rifle season chasing buck only. If you heard a shot, it was a buck and I miss that too. Once the last Saturday closed you had a day of rest and preparation then three days of filling your doe tag. It was just a silly old tradition but I liked it and will forever miss those days.

Thoughts?
I agree.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 01:59 PM

I liked the three day doe season it was kind of nice and everyone would go back up to camp and have another good night of cards and stories just like opening day. Although I do like the split seasons quite a bit. I just hunt the opener and then I go to camp for the doe opener now and it allows me to have more time to hunt. Plus I like that in the area we hunt we are seeing an ever so small doe recovery. its minimal but it is happening.
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 02:02 PM
The Man

Im with you guessing because i like tradition. Agree if you heard a shot first 2 weeks you know buck and maybe it was a miss and coming your way. It was like being rewarded when doe season came you hunted hard for buck but now you could take your doe. It was heading back to camp which is only a 50 minute drive for me but i still had my same dinner planned out of a roast in the crock pot with taters and noodles just like the first day of buck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page