For me this deer season has stunk - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

For me this deer season has stunk

not seeing any deer. no snow, to warm to sunny. I left the woods today rethinking my commitment me. first day, and the saturdays. price of gas etc. i kept telling myself the season could change in a second but just got plain tired of spending hours waiting for that magic second. hate being a quiter but this season has got me down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: For me this deer season has stunk

Hang in there ! This year I was lucky in spots that have been dry for a few years, but my honey holes have produced nothing. You just never know, but its being there that makes it great, not the harvest.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mine has stunk also.But because I've ony been able to get out twice in archery,once in early muzzleloader and twice in gun season for a TOTAL of about 10 hours for a variety of reasons.I usually get to hunt a couple hundred hours a year but not this year.I know it sounds cliche' but don't take for granted just being out there,I know I have in the past.I hope your season gets better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It is the most difficult year to hunt I have seen in a long time here in the central part of the state. Warm, lots of feed, no snow, and dry noisy leaves to walk in. Worst deer movement(lack of) I have ever seen.
Already thinking about ML, unless I can pull off a miracle these last two warm, rainy days.
After the same kind of weather last yr, I sure do miss the cold and snow that at least the higher elevations around here usually have during rifle.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I already got my gun and orange packed away, just screwed the Exodus back on my Easton ACC Arrows..Ill be out lateseason. This was the first year I rifle hunted in 5 years..I wasnt impressed any.

I often wonder,Why do people get mad, when you tell them the truth?

"You can't fix stupid!"
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 12:45 AM

Hunted every day so far and have been very dissapointed this rifle season as well. While I did shoot a doe and a buck, I've seen very few deer. Seems that hunters just aren't out moving deer during the week this year. Hardly hearing any shooting and seeing few hunters. Not sure if the weather has something to do with the lack of pressure or not.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:43 AM
RB
Sage

To the dedicated deer hunter this time of the year is a trying thing if you are still hunting...not only do you have days and days invested you got to play the mental game of the one or two day deer hunter who came out and scored right off the bat. I mean God bless them they make up the bulk of deer hunters and those bucks mean the world to them too..but i am trying to teach dedication to it to my kids because in the long run they will have more success and enjoyment in PA that way, the best method of the new PA deer woods IMO. Sure those opening day run-ins will happen every year to thousands of guys and will be based on where that buck chose to be right before daylight the Monday after Thanksgiving, you can't control it and he just can't avoid the number of obstacles. That is big test to the worth you give the commitment as soon as the leaves change or even while you work the woods for habitat change in mid-february.

As the saying goes...it is the journey...it may not pay off this year or even next year or it may pay off on a opening day run in for you next year when you just can't believe the luck you had.

I have actually gained weight this Fall from sitting on my duff so much in a tree, and not walking with my Mrs or doing any of the normal planned out eating we have been doing to get into shape, or working the woods on Sundays...I am tired in the evenings by 8 PM no matter what, my truck looks like a it has been sitting in a junk yard, I think my smile is harder to find, and my gear is in a corner of the room I just climb into and come out ready to hunt....just all stuff to remember when you walk up to that downed buck this year, or next, let it all out then and remember the worth and journey and value. It is not easy, but til then head up, no shortcuts, be sincerely happy for all that tagged and you share the woods with and "it only takes a second". Tomorrow has alot of seconds.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM

RB you have said it all right there.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:15 AM

There is actually a post in this thread where a hunter killed a doe and a buck yet is dissapointed? What?
I've been out every day but 3 this buck season, just looking for doe. Have yet to see another hunter, and no deer other than those I move. But its been a great season. I did kill a buck 45 minutes into the archery season.
Still having a good time, and looking foward to going out tommorow and putting on a bunch of one man drives for my wife, and I bet we'll tag something!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Bowhunt
I already got my gun and orange packed away, just screwed the Exodus back on my Easton ACC Arrows..Ill be out lateseason. This was the first year I rifle hunted in 5 years..I wasnt impressed any.
Havent late archery hunted, but cannot imagine I will be all that much more impressed with it. That being said Im gonna try it this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page