SGL 211 Dauphin County Hunting Information - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

SGL 211 Dauphin County Hunting Information

Committed myself to hunting local Gamelands SGL211 (Harrisburg, Dauphin County) this year. Fishing at Stony and Clarks Creek all year plus seeing several Big Buck Mounts in local houses that have come from the upper 1/4 of the mountiantop peaked my interest in finally committing to killing a Buck on these Gamelands. Hunted 5 full days (Sun Up-Sun Down)and several 1/2 days in rifle at the peak of the Mountian or first bench or two down and have seen 2 doe to date. Walking up from the Fishing Creek Side of the Mountain above Felictia Resort, Reitz Village and other access points and dropping down into the Stony Creek Side. My plan was to let the crowds drive deer to me from the easier accesses along Stony Creek. Are there any old timers on here with some advice as my legs and vacation days are coming to an end. Are there better places on this Gamelands to be hunting. I've been told an Amish Gang Drives the Stony Creek Side during the first week but I was not aware of any large drives that took place.

Are these gamelands still viable for deer hunting? Deer sign has been pretty minimal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: SGL 211 Dauphin County Hunting Information

What happened to your prime suburban farms?

God Bless the USA.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Only had a week pass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

HHA!?

God Bless the USA.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

I Took a walk last Friday afternnon on 211.Did see some buck sign up in a chop-off heading up towards the Stony side from Clarks, but no deer.If you like rocks there is no lacking there. Have a 4C tag and have hunted SGL 211 and 229 that connects to it near I81 and have yet to see a deer this rifle season.I am not that familiar with it and it is so big it would take a lifetime to cover it.Deer are taken there , but I think you have the right idea and find some escape routes when the pressure is on and hope they get sent your way.I am trying to figure this area out too.Lots of acorns around so it is hard to pin point feeding areas.Will be there Fri and Sat somewhere.It is tough hunting for sure and my hats off to people who have success there.Lots of hard work involved mostly.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would Check the area out above Ritzie Village in Fishing Creek. I don't hunt there now but it used to hold some deer.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:05 AM
New Arrival

looking at google maps i would say your to far west. you need to get more east. I have killed several deer on the top ridge (but i was way out on gap/sgl211 border. as for the amish/mennoites. They drove several days mainly towards then end of the first week. Good luck
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are some recent timber cuts close to dehart dam on the clark's side. Bound to be more deer around those cuts. I know of a few buck taken out of there in a relatively small area, so the deer are there.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Regular Visitor

SGL 211 has some deer but not in any real big numbers....some areas still get a ton of pressure while pressure seems down a bit in others. Some pretty good buck on 211 but you have really, really, really got to invest the time and do a ton of scouting. The days of walking in and plopping down and seeing decent numbers of deer are gone on 211. Big area with lots of food this year. In my opinion, not too many guys will cross Stony Creek. Tons of private land around the specific areas that you mentioned and a lot of the deer are in those areas right now. Little further north in 211 and the deer can move to have access to some good agricultural land....little easier to pattern if you can find access or are willing to walk pretty far. Finding clearcuts in 211 is some good advice.

Just my two cents......

PM me if you want
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 01:50 AM
Part of the Community

I agree with finding clear cuts. about 10 years ago I hunted a new clear cut on 211 and there was a time I went there I didn't see deer I have not been there in a few years I hunt private ground bordering 211

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page