Has anyone seen any deer in 5A? I have not... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Has anyone seen any deer in 5A? I have not...

I've hunted Michaux all week and have not seen a single deer, there has not been a whole lot of shooting so I figure that most of the hunters have the same story. Hopefully things change during week two. I've huntied the laurel, open woods and stalked...very disappointing week.

If it was only about the harvest, I would have quit after day one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Has anyone seen any deer in 5A? I have not...

ive seen deer everyday up until thursday. Then it seems like they just vanished.

Ill stop hunting when they pry the gun from my COLD DEAD HANDS.
Member of the PPHA
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 AM

Welcome to HPA,PASavage!!
In my 25 years of hunting this area,Michaux has never really been considered a hotspot for deer hunting.
Sure,there are deer in MSF but nowhere near the #s
that are in the "farm country" of 5A.
I hunt small farms and woodlots of Franklin Co.and IMHO,
deer #s are steady if not climbing.
Personnaly,I would like to see Michaux managed differently than
the rest of 5A,but I'm no biologist,if the habitat in Michaux can't support a larger herd,no sense in setting it back further.
Hang in there,best of luck to ya!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 12:17 PM

I only got out one day so far (Friday)this rifle season and I saw about 15 or so in a 2 hour sit. I decided to take a doe and try for a buck the second week.

Michaux has spots for deer around the edges of the forest. Interior is lacking from what I have heard.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 01:46 PM

Fordman's right. Whenever they talk about 5A they always talk about Michaux State Forest. Although there's a bruiser of a buck posted here on HPA that purportedly was shot in MSF around Caledonia, you better believe that that buck is not the norm.
It's the same with the Game Commission and fall turkey. They don't see turkey in MSF so they assume there aren't any in 5A. The truth of the matter is once you get away from MSF and start hunting the small farm lots you'll see lots of nice bucks and flocks of turkeys over 100 count. The Game Commission just has to get off the mountain!

Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunted all week and finally saw my first deer, a doe fawn, just before dark last night. 4 of the 6 days was private land too. Deer herd is awful in most of 5a unless your in a couple areas near gettysburg.But im sure I'll just be told that im an awful hunter and need to learn how to hunt.....

Its not about what you harvest, its about the time spent afield with family and friends.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks guys, I'm new to the area the last year and don't really have an in routes to hunting private farms and the like. I hunted MSF during archery and saw 10 or 12 deer a day multiplied by the number of times I was out that was a couple hundred deer (I know a bunch were repeats) but even so most of them were along the road driving in and out. Good luck the rest of the season.

If it was only about the harvest, I would have quit after day one.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:48 PM

A good way to get in on some private farms is to go bang on doors. You would be surprised I think. A good way to get permission is to offer to help with farm work like during Hay Season. Farmers never have enough free help to load and unload wagons and barns. It certainly is worth a try.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntscpa
I hunted all week and finally saw my first deer, a doe fawn, just before dark last night. 4 of the 6 days was private land too. Deer herd is awful in most of 5a unless your in a couple areas near gettysburg.But im sure I'll just be told that im an awful hunter and need to learn how to hunt.....
I used to live in Biglerville when I was younger. The orchards were usually loaded with deer, and a few places along the Conewago always had nice deer populations. Maybe the Road Hunters got all the deer???

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM

Knocking on doors is a great way to gain access,also check out the PGC website for farm/game co-ops in your area.

Fri. morning I spoke with a gentleman who has lived right up the road for 20+ years,he's taking off the second week and traveling to Breezewood to hunt.I mentioned that there are several co-op farms closeby.(3 within a 10 minute drive)
He had no idea of the oppurtunities right in his back yard!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page