How close - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

How close

What was the closest you ever got to a deer while hunting on the ground?
Today i was hunting under a tree when i heard a rustling behind me and i thought it was a squirrel,when i turned around it was a tiny doe fawn smaller than my yellow lab he looked at me funny and walked to my left and then ran with another doe.that gets my heart pumping. it was about or less than 3 yards away.i let him go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: How close

The 2nd year of AR Had a spike and 2 doe walk by at about 10 yards.Then the spike walked over to me and started sniffing me
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Frequent Contributor

A number of years ago i had a button buck lick my arrow.... they arent the smartest critters at that age LOL

5C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Yesterday moring I had a doe 10 yards away, she was the lead doe, she never knew I was there

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Wiz

Back in 2001 I had 3 doe walk past me about 3 yards away and a 4th one on the other side of me that was about 5 yards away.

Last year I got a doe that was about 5 yards from me with my bow.

I was on the ground for all.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 AM
Regular Visitor

Had a doe sniff my bow rope to bring my bow to the top of the tree. Kinda of hard to make a shot when the deer is literally underneath you.

Wack'em and Stack'em

Time not spent in the woods is just wasted time.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

frist year xbows where legal i was sitting against a tree an had a spike walk about 5 yards in front of me...that had my heart pumpin!

~bake that possum good an brown lay them sweet tader's round an round~
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Part of the Community

Send a message via Yahoo to Rattlinbucks

Years ago had a young doe sniff my boots, i had fox urine on my boots and i was smoking a cigar.

RIP Ron Baldwin & Pastor Lewie Mericle, thank you for all the 50 years of memories. 3 A POTTER CO.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

About seven or eight years ago I was hunting Plumbrook in Ohio. I was stalking along a creek when a doe appeared about fifty yards away headed somewhat in my direction. I was caught in an open area in the woods without a tree for several yards. I had a doe permit and decided if it turned and offered me a shot I would take it. Well it came directly toward me and didn't offer the shot I was looking for. It was now within a few yards of me and if it continued its current path it would cross only feet from me. I couldn't believe it hadn't seen me yet. It was so close and I was so open. When it was directly in front of me broadside it turned and walked to me stopping with its nose less than an inch from my belt. It stood there for several seconds then turned and walked directly away from me. I'm sure it was tame and I believe it was waiting for me to give it something to eat. In the direction it was heading I could see a couple house roofs of poeple who must live and work at Plumbrook. My bet is whoever lived there had tamed this one.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM

twice i've had deer close enough to touch without effort. First time I was sitting in the base of a triple tree that had grown very tightly together in the back, but left a great shooting lane in the front. I heard something behind me and after awhile it stopped, but i knew it was close. After a few minutes, nothing so i turned my head around to look through the 8 inch "crack" behind me and saw a deer nose in it, less than a foot from the back of my head! turned out to be a 5pt as he did eventually walk around the tree. my heart was just about out of my chest!
Second time was in a ground blind made of fallen trees and twigs. Had a doe come right up to the outside of it, less than 2ft from me......then she suddenly realized I was there, snorted doe snot all over me and took off.
Truly amazing memories that non-hunters will never understand.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page