How to hunt Big Woods Deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

How to hunt Big Woods Deer

I am a flatlander who is used to hunting farms and woodlots for whitetails. I joined a lease in Potter County and realized I don't know much about finding deer in the mountains. The land I'll be hunting is being managed for timber and there are clearcuts of all ages all over. There are also steep hollows, old growth, logging roads, newer gravel roads and small log landings etc. Pretty much anything you'd expect to see in Potter County/Northern Tier.

Can you give me some tips/ideas on how to start finding deer in this type of habitat? Any info will be appreciated! I'll be primarily hunting with a rifle and flintlock.

P.S. - The area I have access to is completely surrounded by State Forest and State Game Lands.

Thanks!

Keystone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: How to hunt Big Woods Deer

Look for acorn and deer signs like you would see on the farms..You will see deer trails also..Deer like to run their trails parallel to the ridge tops..Also deer love to cross the mountain tops on saddles or dips in the tops..Look for fresh signs in these areas..Mountainous areas with less human foot traffic the deer tend to move more in the late mornings up to 11AM...So stay in your stand as late as possible...
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just remember first and foremost "there are no deer in Potter County"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

like burk said - find acorns and find saddles.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You have to find the food source. The whitetail army marches on it's stomach and it's key to finding them. After the pressure of the first day, look for them in the laurel and greenbriar thickets. If you can find them, there are places in the woods where there is always deer. I can't explain it, but you will almost always find deer there.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Part of the Community

Walk the perimiters of the cuts, the edges of the habitat transitions and let the deer trails and sign lead you from there!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Climb high walk very very slow if it takes 3 hours to cover 300 yds so be it. Go where nobody else is willing to go. That is how i have had success in potter.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Like Cherokee said, hunt the edges of the clear cuts. Hunt them where they meet select cut, open timber, whatever. You will find buck sign al along these edges as well. Also look for natural funnels where ridges end and narrow down. These make good natural pinch points.

Oh yea, and if there is a good cherry crop, and there's snow on the ground, you can sneak right up to those mountain deer while their heads are burried in the snow.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It's not going to help you for this fall, but get out in January and February and March- look for trails in the snow. It won't give you early archery food sourses, but it get you in the right areas and eliminates others quickly. There are wooded areas up here where you can see 150-200 yards--looks good for shooting, usually not so good for deer unless pushed because there is no browse and no cover.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Big Woods= To much of a chance to get lost and never be found

Id stay as close to a road and other people as possible. If there sitting there it must be a good spot!!!!
Also make some noise every now and then so they know your there. You will want to leave your stand by no later than 10am so you can give us updates on how the hunting is here. Me, Id stick to woodlots and farmfields. After all ALL the deer crossing signs are posted RIGHT ON THE ROADS arent they?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page