Learn to butcher my own deer - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Learn to butcher my own deer

I've been tempted for some time to learn to skin and butcher my own deer and have been reading quite a bit on this site and others.

I'm in the South Hills of Pittsburgh area and would appreciate watching the process with fellow Hpaers to learn.

Realizing it may be a last minute thing, as no one knows when they will score, if this sounds feasible to anyone shoot me a pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 AM

Re: Learn to butcher my own deer

PM RoosterBooster.

I offered a few years back to teach guys how to butcher deer.

RB backed it and had suggested others in other areas do the same.

RB may still have contact names for someone in your area and they might still be willing to do some teaching.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Best advice would be to shoot a deer and just go for it, that's how i learned. It's not that hard. If you can gut one then it's all easy from there. The biggest thing is having somewhere to do it.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

If you were closer I would gladly show you how easy it is to peel the wrapper off a deer, break it down, and cut it.

You can't get em from the couch.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 AM
The Man

I'd say one thing to learn before butchering your own deer, is to sharpen knives during the process. A good deer butcher is a knife sharpener first.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 AM
RB
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodywoodduck
PM RoosterBooster.

I offered a few years back to teach guys how to butcher deer.

RB backed it and had suggested others in other areas do the same.

RB may still have contact names for someone in your area and they might still be willing to do some teaching.
I don't have that list anymore...but this would be a great thread to start one, just list HPA ID and location, such as...

RB-HPA, western Warren county....

I am here about daily in hunting season, and you will know when i or the family gets something... ,

I will invite anyone to stop by on butcher day and learn, bring your deer too and we will do it side by side. God willing we will be doing this 4 or 5 days this Fall..I do try to hang mine (skinned) for a few days ..IE usually til the next Sunday on the calendar (like to watch the Steelers while I butcher). In bow season I will Quarter and frig it that day for awhile, those i usually do a quarter or two during the week after work.

Either way, the way to learn is definately getting your hands messy next to the teacher. Sharp Filet knife, a few of them , and three bus boy style plastic bins, i highly suggest a vac packer too, but HD freezer ziplocs work.

I got a grinder, and a vac packer here for anyone to use, but you will need to bring a roll of bags as they are pricey and i go thru enough of them already.

There is NOTHING more satisfying to a hunter than turning that dead deer into clean, trimmed, perfect portion size meat packs for your family.

Learned how to a do a bear this past year too...but one of those won't be allowed in our kitchen again though, per the Mrs....they are a big fatty mess, but there is some good eating under there.

Another reason i should get a decent video cam...lost of good stuff happening from woods, to dinner plate love to share it all with ya. I am no expert on anything, but I eat/cook some NICE custom cuts of deer meat that is for sure.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

check youtube.

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.

PGC has a butchering and cooking video for sale on their website thats gives a pretty detailed description on everything from gutting to grilling.

Just checked PGC website and it shows that video as temporarily out of stock.

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Regular Visitor

search "cut deer in 8 minutes" on youtube. i do mine basically the same way but with the deer hanging from the back legs, and of course not in 8 minutes. usually skinned and boned out in about an hour. another great tip is to use a torch to remove any loose hair left on the deer after skinning. that way you dont have to rinse before freezing and risk freezer burn. good luck.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I live just north of you. If you are willing to drive to Cranberry TWP I'd be happy to show you. Grew up doing it. My grandfather was a butcher and we processed deer when I was a kid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page