Deer Names and the Stories Behind Them - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Deer Names and the Stories Behind Them

A lot of us somehow end up giving names to certain deer that we regularly cross paths with while hunting. I thought it would be cool to start a thread to talk about those deer and the stories of encounters with them and how their names came about.

Nobody has to give up any locations or specifics, just whatever you feel like sharing. Pics would be great!

It's kind of late now but I'll start off with this one I called "Bucky". There's not much of a story here other than I saw him a few times in archery season and at the time I would have shot him given the opportunity but it just never happened. I was going through a bit of a drought with my bow then and wasn't being real particular.

I never saw him after archery ended and figured someone had surely taken him during the rifle season. Then during late January he started showing up on my trail camera regularly. I even got pictures of him the same day with and without his rack! I remember bringing my SD cards home to look at and mumbling to myself..."come on where's Bucky?" lol He rarely failed to make an appearance though. Notice the little 'kicker' on the main beam above his brown tine on the right side.

Even though I had cameras out all summer I never got any pictures of him and figured he had finally disappeared for good. Then one day in early October I got pictures of a very nice buck at one of my mock scrapes and he looked very familiar. There on his right side was the kicker to confirm that it was indeed Bucky!

To say it got me pumped for the season was an understatement. Unfortunately after I got these pics I never saw him again during bow or rifle seasons. When he didn't show up on my trail cameras the following winter I was pretty certain he had met his maker.

Not much but it's a start. I have a few more I can post when I get the time.

Let's hear some of your stories!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Close Enough! At least in the right country and state now.
Re: Deer Names and the Stories Behind Them

Can't think of any I've ever given a name to, but my older brother did once. He named a four point, "Dummy". Throughout grouse and fall turkey seasons one year he ran into this deer several times. Each time the deer would see him, stop, turn broadside, and just stand there. We all assumed that Dummy would become venison before 07:00 on the Monday after Thanksgiving. Two weeks later during doe season brother spots Dummy again. Dummy sees brother, stops, turns broadside, and just stands there. Guess he wasn't such a "dummy" after all!

Shoot straight

People are sick of politicians, and me, I hate cats in the house.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Had a main frame 10 with double drop times called "drop time". Real original. Never saw him in stand. Had another a friend and I called the "Rick" deer. We seen him all the time. He would look at us and not care. Our friend Rick is a mellow laid back dummy. So we named deer after him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM

I never named a deer, I usually just call them dinner.

But I do remember a buddy who had an albino doe coming near his spot that he hunted, he called it "Whitey". We were hunting together one Saturday in the late season, and he was supposed to be driving for me...to make a long story short, he wound up shooting the albino, I heard him fire 3 times & reload (buckshot), then shoot again. I decided to go see what the commotion was, and when I got there, the deer was still thrashing...Whitey died hard. My buddy was on his cell, calling his son..."I got Whitey!!, I got Whitey!!".

Funny thing is, my buddy just recently had major back surgery. There may be something to that old wive's tale....

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have several, here are two.
First is "Lumpy" a doe that has been hanging around my house for five years. She has a Big lump on the side of her face between eye and tip of nose. She has had twin fawns every year behind the house and seems otherwise healthy.
The other that sticks in my brain is "Droopy". This was a horse of a buck that I saw over four years. The reason I called him Droopy was he had one ear that hung down like a hound dog. This buck was huge. The first time I saw him he was in a bean field in August with a bachelor group of other bucks. At first I ignored him because the one side of his rack was deformed. He had a typical 5 points on the right, but the left had four long tines that sort of went straight up. I was watching another ten point through the binoculars and the ten walked over and Droopy came into the view. That was when I realized that Droopy had twice the body size of the ten! He was huge! I hunted that buck for the next four years. Only ever saw him during late summer before the season opened and then the last year I saw him was in January after the season had ended! Always wondered what happened to him. He was big enough that if he had been killed I am sure it would have been local news.

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM

we had a buck here a few years ago that had what appeared to be 8" spikes, straight up, with knobs on top. we called him the giraffe. neighbor got him but i never saw his antlers.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

"High Tines" another monster 12 point that I hunted hard for a couple years and never got a shot. Called him high tines because he had one of the tallest racks with the longest G2's and G3's I have ever seen. Never heard of anybody killing him.

I'll probably think of some more...
Most of them I never got.. they were like ghosts..

Ain't no such thing as a "couldahad" with the bow"
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Sage

This guys name was nicknamed "Tin Can"... not hard to see why.

He turned into a 176" buck!!

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM

I only ever named one...He now resides on my wall.

I took my oldest son with me for the first day back in 2006. He didn't have a liscence but wanted to go hunting with daddy.

The night before, I had him pick the rifle we would carry....He said "Nana's gun"...a 760 Carbine in 30-06. I handed him the box of shells and told him to pick out a lucky one. He did. I took a Black permanent marker and printed "Marlin and Dad" on that case and put it in the chamber the next morning.

Well, along about 7 am, we were sneaking along a little flat heading for a valley where the deer generally travel from the food to the bedding area in the laurels. I caught movement in the valley and could see the rack....put the scope on it and saw what I thought was a mighty big 6-point.

I whispered to him to hold his ears...there is a big 6 right there....He whispered "I see him Dad".

He had a 1 7/8 inch 7th point on the right antler but he is and will always be

BIG SIX.

After the shot, the deer went right down and I ejected that case into his hands. He put it in his pocket and when we got home, I completed the writing on the case.

"Marlin and Dad, 7 Point Buck, 11-27-06". He still has it.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM
The Man

i have a few. This years buck is named vendetta. i have a grudge against hime for ducking my arrow and my new bow is also ironically named the PSE vendetta.

i have named some
big 8
wide 6
niner
palmated deer
little ear deer
bucky
witchy- my pet doe in the back yard named for the mole on her face
chin strap
nudge
big spike

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page