Question about a mature buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Question about a mature buck

I have been archery hunting this mature buck for 3 yrs and have only seen him once on the hoof. last 2 yrs I ran 4 trail cams. I would get him on the cameras every 12 days and it would be between 1:32 and 1:36 am. I did get some pics of him in the daytime while he was in velvet. But once the velvet was gone he went nocturnal. When I got him with the flash cameras he wouldn't take that trail again and I had to move the camera.Now I have 5 moultrie m-80 blx cameras out and I have been getting pics of him again every 12 days and 1:30-1:36 am until this last time I pulled my cards there was no sign of him. I don't think hes getting alot of preasure on him as alot of the ground around the land I hunt is posted and not hunted. Why is it that he only shows up every 12 days and that time of night. I don't know where he beds because of the posted ground I can't go on. Have any of you guys run into the same thing? I just don't know what to do to get him. I have put out a feeder and been feeding almost year round (stopping about a month and a half before season starts and starting back up right after season is over. I also put out 2 trophy rocks and a food plot this year. Don't know what else I can do. Any help would be appreciated. Here are a couple pics of him last year.

Here are some of this year

Blend in or go hungry !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Question about a mature buck

Put the time in and have patience.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:42 PM

I agree with Callmaker, you are putting the puzzle together as it seems to me though. that buck could be spending alot of time on the property that doesn't get hunted as you indicated. He has to leave some sign as decent sized rubs and scrapes. I would try to get a pattern on him someway for the opener and if that didnt work out keep trying. He might slip up come the last 2 weeks of the season looking for does.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:54 PM

I would do everything you are already doing. Consider those posted properties "his" sanctuary. I would make those food plots irresistible for does in hopes he makes a mistake lookin for love!

Good Luck and enjoy the challange.

Semper Fi
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've read that mature bucks will use hidden trails off the main deer trails. You could be missing him because of this.Unlikely this time of year though.

Rule of thumb, a buck home radius is 2 miles and extends to 6 miles during the rut. If you've been seeing him for a few years and you have posted property around you that doesnt get hunting pressure, I'd say that posted property is his "core" area.

You'll get him! good luck, he's a beautiful buck.

B
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

(This post was directed toward the original poster.) Think about what you just posted. You put out feed and stop about 1 1/2 months before the season starts and you also said that you stopped seing him when he lost his velvet. Seems to me like those two time frames roughly coincide. It also would not be at all unusual for deer to change their patterns between summer and fall depending on food availability, temperature, human activity, breeding urges, etc. The regular 12 day cycles between sightings is pretty amazing. As others have said, once human activities increase he may retreat to his sanctuary area, which may be that posted property. I'd try to lay low, stay out of the area as much as possible, only entering to hang your stand. Make sure as you do so, you stay as scent free as possible and wear scent free clothing, especially gloves so as to not leave your scent anywhere. This sounds like a buck that you might be able to kill during the first week of the season, and if not then, well......who knows.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been very paticent with this buck. 2 yrs ago I passed up a 10 point and 2 smaller 8 pointers because I set my mind on this buck. He won! Last year I passed on several bucks that had I not known this guy was there I would have shot. But again I set my mind on him and he won again. This year I will set my mind on him again and this year I would like to win. I do go in as scent free as possible. I have tried to pattern him,but with him only coming around every 12 days its hard. I have looked all over the peice of ground I have to hunt for scrapes and rubs. I found 2 of each last year and put cams on them and he never showed up. I even passed up does until the last thursday at the end of the day when a single doe came out and I shot it. I figured with 7 does coming out to my old plot every night that during the rut he would slip up and come out. But nota! Oh well thats why I hunt him is for the challange.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 06:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Good luck. I hope you get a crack at him. If you do, make the shot count. We'll be awaiting pics.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 07:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Most of the mature bucks I get on my trail only show up about once, maybe twice per month to my tractor supply mineral blocks. Just knowing they are out there somewhere is what keeps me on stand because patterning them is impossible. Good Luck!

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 12:10 PM

Look on the bright side. He's still alive.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page