DIY 2013 Fall Arizona Coues Deer Hunt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

DIY 2013 Fall Arizona Coues Deer Hunt

I'm in the process of putting together a DIY rifle hunt for coues deer below Tucson, Arizona. Looking for a partner or two to tag along with me. It is a draw tag but some areas are near 100% draw. Must be in good shape and be willing to go either October, November, or December. (depending on which tag/season we would draw) Anyone with any information on a hunt like this or that has done this hunt, your input would be greatly appreciated. I thought about going with an outfitter but I can't see spending $3000-$5000 to go deer hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Banned

Re: DIY 2013 Fall Arizona Coues Deer Hunt

Man this sounds like a great hunt. I'd love to go but on my budget it just ain't gonna happen. Good luck and make sure you get plenty of longe range practice in.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll be taking my TC pro-hunter in .30-06 which I shoot pretty well out to 350 yards. I haven't practiced past that because of range limits where I shoot and heck I'm already dropping quite a bit at that range. I won't push anything over that with this particular rifle. Hopefully I'll be able to move in for shot under that. They take quite a few in the area I'm going with archery equipment so I should be fine. From my research waterholes seem to be the best starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 03:19 PM
New Arrival

I hunted south of Tucson back in '08. Coues' are my favorite animal to hunt. I drew a great NM Archery tag for them this coming January. Which Unit in AZ are you applying in?

Have Fun,
--Bill
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 PM
Banned

Wow, great buck!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 PM

pm me if you need a partner.I'm ALWAYS up for hunting anything out west.its an animal I've been thinking of trying for myself

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM

big28: I have hunted in 34A and the reason some of those areas are 100% draw is that they are south of I-10. This is border country and you must be aware of "everything" 24/7 and never let your guard down. This took some of the fun out of my first AZ. hunt, but I will do it again, now that I know what to expect.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yes I know. It tells you right on the Arizona hunting website about the dangers. Thank you though. I'll be sure to be alert no matter where I draw.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFGinNM
I hunted south of Tucson back in '08. Coues' are my favorite animal to hunt. I drew a great NM Archery tag for them this coming January. Which Unit in AZ are you applying in?

Have Fun,
--Bill
I'm open to suggestions Bill! That's exactly why I wanted to post this early to get wisdom from hunters who have done it. The units directly south of Tucson are where the best coues numbers are according to my research. Any help in getting me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. By the way that coues you harvested is AWESOME!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2012, 05:03 PM
New Arrival

I hunted 36B, relatively easy to draw the 2nd to last hunt. You will see a lot of deer if you like to glass, you will also see a lot of traffic from other hunters, and some from our neighbors to the south. AZ Coues' hunting in the southern units is quite different than NM Coues' hunting. Be prepared to sit and glass the shadows, that means you will be glassing into the sun. Not as easy as having the sun to your back, but the deer like to stay in the shadows.

Feel free to contact me,
--Bill

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page