Handheld GPS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Handheld GPS

Going to be hunting some bigger woods this year in Central and North Central Pa and also out of state.

I am looking for any suggestions on a first time GPS user. Looking for something easy to get used to for a first timer.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Handheld GPS

Well, I'v been using a Garmin 60CSx for several years and lot it. Sadly, they stopped making it and replaced it with a 62 series. I've heard good things about it and would get one myself if I ever needed to replace the 60CSx.

Steve
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I always used a garmin and was very happy with it until one weekend I forgot it. Then I looked for apps on my droid smart phone and love it. I use backcountry navigation pro. It has all types of maps and you do not need signal. I hunt a lot of backwoods with no signal and never had a problem, but my battery died once now I carry an extra one.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll second the Garmin GPS 60 CSx and you can still buy them - check amazon for prices.

I got one last fall. I used the CD to down load and up load free topo of PA & it works great. I had an older E-Trex legend [which is STILL sold and really out of date.]so I was able to pick uo the new one and go, it works smoothly and re draws quickly! I found instead of 'north up' I prefer it to show track up, you can stand on a point and watch it redraw as you swivel around. I find I'm not marking way points like I did on my old unit, just reading the map compared to where I am...

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 PM

I'm still using the E-Trex
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 02:32 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA
Well, I'v been using a Garmin 60CSx for several years and lot it. Sadly, they stopped making it and replaced it with a 62 series. I've heard good things about it and would get one myself if I ever needed to replace the 60CSx.

USAF 1984-88

Families that hunt together stay together!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in PA
I think I read that this is still the best selling Garmin model.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i've got an old magellan mapquest with the topo maps and it still works pretty well but takes a while to lock on. i relied upon it heavily when i was scouting my new mountain hunting areas about 10 years ago.

one word of advice though for a new GPS user. Don't rely upon the GPS to the point where your internal sense of direction is "turned off". kind of hard to explain, but for me anyway, i have a really good sense of direction when i pay attention and think as i'm moving through the woods. when i first started using my GPS i basically stopped concentrating and let the GPS do my thinking for me. when i lost signal or battery, i was somewhat flustered. i now use it only for occasional reference and making waypoints.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Pumpgun,
I understand exactly what you mean. I got into the dumb down situation with my vehicle GPS.

Thanks to all who responded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page