location, location, location - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

location, location, location

Hi all, my bro and I are planning our first hnting trip to hunt white tail. Like other things location is an issue. We are located in the Pittsburgh area and have been looking at game lands all over the southwest area. Not an easy task for places you have never seen or visited.
Some of my searching has led to areas around Ohiopyle state park, but again what the heck do I know.
We are looking for a place that gives beginners the best chance for success.
Looking for American guidance front m the meeting experienced hunters out there to choose an area. Somewhere I won't have a heart attack humping my gear up and down steep terrain all week long.
Willing to travel, but will need to be close to some lodging ect

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: location, location, location

Huh??

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:09 PM
RB
Sage

Hstone, Welcome to HPA, i am sending you a PM with a suggestion.

I can't promise on the heart attack though...there are some bruisers there that may stop your heart.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Pretty sure White Gail should be White Tail,but I'm purely stumped on Photoelectric State Park.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm betting he meant "Ohiopyle State park"?? Maybe some kind of auto spelling correct glitch?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM

Well, Photoelectric State Park sounds like an "enlightening" place to spend some time anyhow.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

LOL. Who said smart phones make you smarter... [censored] auto correct!!
Reading that post I would have no idea what was trying to be said.

Yeah, OhioPyle and WhiteTail is what I meant.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 02:06 AM
Regular Visitor

Why leave Pittsburgh if you don't want to hike up and down steep terrain? Check out my video on the bucks playing tetherball in 2B. That was filmed in the heart of Pittsburgh where you could hunt and after the season ended in March/April. When we deer hunted in the past my son killed an 8 point there and I left a lot of bucks go over the years waiting for mr. big. There are so many deer in the Pittsburgh suburbs that the police had to do controlled hunts awhile back. Permission is all you need in most parts of Pittsburgh, people do not want the deer eating their expensive shrubbery. Don't get me wrong Ohiopyle has some dandies and is a beautiful spot but you will work for the deer. The locals have the upper hand in that area and you stated you wanted a quicker way to success. Pittsburgh has some big bucks in tiny patches just outside million dollar homes. You just have to get permission and be sure to follow game laws as far as distance from occupied dwelling and such. I would hunt Pittsburgh for deer but I live 4 hours away and I love to bear hunt and I am usually doing that rather than deer hunting. Try the route 88 area and the route 28 area. Lots of luck! PS. You will need a slug gun or bow.

Hunting Success "Nature will teach you but you must spend time in her classroom"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I can suggest several places for you to hunt in the area you are thinking about. Rob Gratson who posts on here has given me a lot of help when I moved my hunting operations to Somerset County. Bluetick also can be of some considerable help. Here are a couple of places you can look up and find maps for if you wish.
1. Laurel Hill State park, on the border between Somerset and Fayette Counties. This is also a DMAP area, so you can purchase a DMAP tag to take a doe.
2. You already mentioned Ohiopyle State Park. The hunting terrain in the area is a lot less steep than what I was used to in the Ridge and Valley province to the east. Ohiopyle is also a DMAP area.
3. Mount Davis in southeastern Somerset County. While it is the highest mountain peak in Pennsylvania, the terrain is relatively gentle, and this is also a DMAP area.
4. If you want to get away from state parks, check out State Game Lands number 51 in Fayette County, and also State Game Lands number 111 in Somerset County. I do almost all of my deer hunting on SGL #111, and <span style="color: #FF0000">if you drop me a PM,</span> I can arrange to meet you and give you a quickie tour of some places from which you could stage a hunt.

A great resource for maps of such areas as the above mentioned would be the DCNR website for maps of the DMAP areas I mentioned. Here is a link to the interactive map of DMAP areas in Pennsylvania. Click on one and a map of that area will come up.
DMAP area website

For maps of State Game Lands, go to the Pennsylvania Game Commission website. This link takes you to a portal for the entire state:
PGC web page on State Game Lands

This one takes you to just the Southwestern part of the state. The numbers on the map are Game Lands numbers. Pick one and look up the map in the search block at the right side of the page.
State Game Lands in Southwestern PA

Hope this helps you. Good luck with your foray into hunting.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Permission is all you need in most parts of Pittsburgh, people do not want the deer eating their expensive shrubbery.
Pretty much my thoughts also... up until now. The PGC Biologist apparently are not in herd reduction mode in 2B. They are in herd stabilization mode, based on a random survey sent out to the folks living in 2B (see more on this via the thread in the AR/HR forum). The majority of respondents pretty much deemed the current herd as "just right", and they are more than happy with the current resident/Deer relationship.

Also adding, not sure how long you've been gone, but access in the PGH suburbs are the closest thing to impossible that you'll get. I truly believe you have a better chance of getting into somebody's woodlot with a bow in Peter's Twp, than you would getting on a farm with a gun in the rt. 88 corridor you've mentioned. It's possible you can "network" with folks in your workplace or neighborhood. If not, explore and familiarize yourself with the Laurel Highlands as mentioned. It's a beautiful place, with a large expanse of open, state land. You can't see it all in 3 lifetimes.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page