Africa hunt - firearm question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Africa hunt - firearm question

Im in the early stages setting up a trip to Africa, maybe next year 2013. I havent narrowed down what I am going to try to hunt yet. - -Any advice to a weapon? - Is a 300 -win mag enough gun for blesbok, kudo and some of the other plains game? -Or should I be thinking bigger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 AM

Re: Africa hunr - firearm question

That should do it with a 200gr bullet
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Africa hunt - firearm question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuckDown
Im in the early stages setting up a trip to Africa, maybe next year 2013. I havent narrowed down what I am going to try to hunt yet. - -Any advice to a weapon? - Is a 300 -win mag enough gun for blesbok, kudo and some of the other plains game? -Or should I be thinking bigger?
I took a blue wildebeest, impala, blesbuck, warthog, and bushbuck with a .30-06 using 180 grain accubond bullets. You will have no problem with a 300 Win Mag at all. Just use a premium bullet. I'm headed back in May of 2013! If your interested in coming along with us, your more than welcome. I have 5 guys in our group. A sixth would be no problem. Best of luck in your adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Your .300 Win Mag will do the job on anything up to and including Eland. For dangerous game, you would need something like .375 H & H or larger, but you don't mention that sort of thing, so go with the .300 win mag. I have taken over 20 plains game animals with my .300 Weatherby Mag, which is just a tad harder hitting than the win mag, but not enough to make a huge difference. A good quality 200 grain bullet would be a good idea. Nosler partition at a minimum. You will be spending a few thousand bucks on the trip. Don't go on the cheap with ammo. I have used Kodiak bonded core, Trophy bonded, and Swift bullets, as well as Barnes X, all with good results. A good hit is of primary importance for sure.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 03:18 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm leaving in June for safari in RSA and I'm using my .300 win mag w/ 180 grain Hornady Superformance SST. I'm looking Kudu, wildebeest, blesbuck, impala etc. The PH and safari owner tell me it is more than enough gun. Like we all know quality ammo and shot placement is the key.

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 08:59 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuckDown
What part of Africa are you going to hunt? The rifle you should take will depend on the type of terrain where you will be. If you will be in the bushveld country, then a .308 with 180's would be perfectly fine. For plainsgame it is only in the wide open, long shooting areas where you would need a magnum.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 AM

Last fall American Hunter had a good article about the USA favorite .30-06 doing similar game in Africa, I believe it was with some of the people from Federal checking out their new bullets. The article also touched on Teddy Roosevelt, Earnest Hemingway and Robert Ruark taking various plains game with the ought-six.

Their kills ranged from 25 to 300 yards in the article. I believe so long as you know your weapon and its limits, and use a premium bullet to aide your cause, you can take down a lot of those critters with American deer rifles.

I'm jealous - post those pictures someday in the distant future, good luck and safe trip.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Just on the off chance any of you might be interested, I did two shows: a power point and a movie type show on my friend Tom's hunt in South Africa last June. If you would like a copy of both on CD that you can play on your computer, drop me a pm.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

biggest, baddest, supermagnum out there does not makeup up for a bad shot anywhere on any game. practice, practice, and more practice to make this trip a once in a lifetime event. fwiw. p.s. don't practice from a bench with sandbags. practice like you are actually hunting i.e. standing, kneeling, improvised rest. real life shooting. no cement tables in africa.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Banned

In addition, practice shooting off a shooting stick. Lots of professional hunters carry them. Some are nothing more than a big walking stick while others are dipod type.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page