Colorado Preference Point Deadline April 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
PHA
Frequent Contributor

Colorado Preference Point Deadline April 3

April 3 (11:59 PM mountain time) is the deadline to buy a big game preference point in Colorado. Having one or two preference points really opens up some attractive hunt options for mule deer and elk. As a general rule, limited draw units for elk have less hunting pressure and better quality animals than over-the counter units. All mule deer licenses are via the draw and units requiring as little as 1 or 2 points to draw produce some decent bucks.

The preference point procedure works like this - when you apply for the point, your credit card is charged for the full cost of the license ($351 for elk and $346 for deer), a $3 processing fee and $10 for a habitat stamp. You will then receive a refund check for the license less the $3 fee, $25 preference point fee and $10 habitat stamp. Preference points are good for 10 years after you last applied for a point or last bought a license. If you are even considering hunting elk or mule deer in Colorado in the next 10 years, I would highly recommend that you purchase a point now.

Here is the link to buy points: http://wildlife.state.co.us/ShopDOW/AppsAndLicenses/Pages/totallicensing.aspx. The hunt code for an elk preference point is E-P-999-99-P and D-P-999-99-P for deer. Do not put down a 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice. When you get to the question, “If I am unsuccessful in the draw”, choose the “Refund” option.

Hunters born on or after Jan. 1, 1949 will need a Hunter Education Student ID # to apply. This number is on your Hunter Ed card.

If you hit a snag, call me, I'd be glad to help. 814-594-5870.

Good luck,

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Colorado Preference Point Deadline April 3

Yep...mine are going in tonight. That'll give me 9 deer points and 9 antelope points.

Shut Up and Drill
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Elk
Hooked on HuntingPa

mine are in. 9 deer points and 4 elk pts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM

3 elk and 3 deer for me.May use them in the next year or two.Going to start building some for my son since they are very cheap in Co.Well up front money anyway.Already started him on Maine moose and Wy elk/deer/antelope

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Regular Visitor

I got A few points for deer elk and lopes. This is the first time in 10 years that I may not be able to do my annual 2 week backpack archery elk hunt. Last year I got to hunt Co and Wy for a total of 3 weeks. A new business venture is keeping me from knowing till late July or so. If I'll be going this year and it's ""KILLING"" me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page