Caribou Grand Slam - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Caribou Grand Slam

I've got a little deal going on that kinda came around without thinking about it. I have taken 2 Quebec-Labrador caribou, 6 Woodland Caribou and now this past fall a Barren-Ground caribou. My question is this. To complete a grand slam of caribou, do I just need a Mountain caribou? Or do I need a Central Barren-ground caribou also? I am really concentrating on the Mountain caribou next. Does anyone on here have any firsthand recommendation for a Mountain caribou outfitter? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Caribou Grand Slam

To complete the slam you will need the mountain and the central barren ground caribou. Looks like your well on your way. I would have had 3 out of the five but choose to pass on small bulls the last time I was in Alaska on a barren ground caribou hunt. I didn't see anything like the great bull you shot this past year. Headed back up in 2014 so hopefully I can get number 3. I can tell you that Pelly Lake Wilderness Outfitters is a great outfit to go with for mountain caribou and for central barren ground I like Canada North Outfitting. These are the outfitters that I have already researched and trust to put me on a great hunt. There is one more caribou in question which is the artic island caribou and I know it's not part of the Super Slam but maybe part of another slam. Good luck on your quest!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I guess the Perry Caribou is off the list since their population is so small?
Who did you hunt barren grounds caribou with? I have been thinking about doing that for some time. Any observations?

Here is what you are looking for in a mountain caribou. I got this one with BC Safaris in 2003 on a hunt that was supposed to be a goat hunt, but changed because of the weather.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Wow. That's a whopper Mutt. Nice job. I hunted the barren ground with Eric Decker of Grizzly Guides of Alaska. It was a secondary animal on my grizzly hunt. We were in a great area. May as well have called them mountain caribou because they were up so high. we were commonly seeing sheep where we were hunting them. Saw many nice bulls. His outfit was great, but I'm certain you could find a cheaper hunt. The woodland caribou are supposed to be some of the bigger bodied caribou, but it struck me that these barren ground ones were comparable in size.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I had thought of doing a barren grounds hunt in the Northwest Territories. Maybe soon.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Man, does that look awesome.May have to start looking into a caribou hunt instead of an elk hunt for next season.Been looking into a drop flight thru 40 mile air for either caribou or moose.I don't think they offered caribou last year because of low populations though.Just looks like a real fun and different hunt

yote addiction: a pack a day
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Part of the Community

Collingwood Brothers in BC, Hunted Moose & goat with them in 2006- They have Mountian cabibou seen alot & big'ens but didn't have a tag
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden41
Man, does that look awesome.May have to start looking into a caribou hunt instead of an elk hunt for next season.Been looking into a drop flight thru 40 mile air for either caribou or moose.I don't think they offered caribou last year because of low populations though.Just looks like a real fun and different hunt
PM sent. I flew with 40 Mile Air last September on my grizzly/caribou hunt.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttleysback
I guess the Perry Caribou is off the list since their population is so small?
Who did you hunt barren grounds caribou with? I have been thinking about doing that for some time. Any observations?

Here is what you are looking for in a mountain caribou. I got this one with BC Safaris in 2003 on a hunt that was supposed to be a goat hunt, but changed because of the weather.

Very niiiiiiiice!!!!!!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM

sounds like you have had some great success kudu id be very happy with a caribou single.

take a kid hunting and fishing it will keep them out of trouble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page