White-Tail Deer Industry? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

White-Tail Deer Industry?

So QDMA just started to speak out against the captive Deer industry. This is something that i do not agree with. In fact it will more then likely be the sole reason i do not renew my membership. I feel that the deer industry is a good thing a very very good thing. I see no difference between raising deer and cattle. I was just wondering what some other peoples opinions are on the matter, do you feel it is wrong to have a captive deer breeding programs in our state if so why? Keep in mind im not talking about preserve hunting in this post just raising White-tails.

Happy Hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: White-Tail Deer Industry?

The purpose of captive deer breeding is to supply the preserve shooting industry. They are not mutually exclusive as you suggest.
You say captive deer breeding is "very good". Why?
I am not opposed to it as an agricultural industry. It is not hunting and the deer are not wildlife. My problems with it are the spreading of disease, and the the fact that the preserve hunting is not differentiated from real hunting by so many people..

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

There are many deer farmers who simple raise deer for a hobby, I know at least two people to whom this applies. They sell no deer to hunting perserves. And still there are others who do it for meat(Agricultre). Still other bottle urine that many deer hunters use during the season. Also how do you think many other product are tested and developed such as food plot seed. Captive deer herds are also regularly checked by state officals for all know diseases naturally occurring. Coulds anyone tell me the last time the PGC checked there entire herd for disease. And Yes I agree often times perserve hunting gives hunters a bad rap. when they think about preserves the see lots of deer in a tiny pen with people just picking aimming and shooting. however that is just people being ignorant. Many perserves are that way but that is what their clients want. who are any of us to tell them to stop giving their clients what they want. If you were to ask me if i wanted to shoot a 160+ class deer in a fifty acre pen i would say no thank you. But what if it was a 1500 acre pen that is managed to hold more naturally ocuring wildlife (flura and Funa) then most of our subpar managed gamelands. And had its own natural bredding carefully managed deer population within i would see no problem with it.

Happy Hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryboy08
Captive deer herds are also regularly checked by state officals for all know diseases naturally occurring.
I was under the impression that live deer cannot be tested for Chronic Wasting Disease. Has that changed?

MAGA 2020
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM

DIYA- your right it is currently impracticble. they are just getting to the point of being able to diagnose it in live animals. Still experimental. They all hope to get a test to pick it up in urine.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned

http://www.qdma.com/media-room/deer-...islation-2012/

Is this the issue?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
The Man

There is nothing wrong with science. The question is whether every advance is seen as effective or wanted.
Decades ago I use to hunt a farmer's land. I would ask him how he fed the cattle, how large his herd would be and questions that someone would consider if one were in a business. Even then he had no bull and was using artificial insemination.

Of course, the practical problem with hunting might come when the greatest antlers in any state will be found, not on open land, but in the fenced preserves scientifically administered. Deer may move from a hunted prey to scientific accomplishment. And what will become of the hunter. Not what became of the deer.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
Of course, the practical problem with hunting might come when the greatest antlers in any state will be found, not on open land, but in the fenced preserves scientifically administered.
We're already there. I don't see that as a problem. The problem will be when those antlers in fenced preserves are pursued by most hunters.

Steve.

"When you put a buck on your wall, it links you to those guys who painted the walls of caves." --Me.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 10:20 AM

Remember the old Chiffon margarine commercials? It's not nice to fool Mother Nature....

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just what does the QDMA exspect to do that the AG isn't doing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page