LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Canada Lifts Strict Border Restrictions

Just one mistake? Then welcome back to Canada
Story
Comments
ShareShare
Print Create a hardcopy of this page Font Size: Default font size Larger font size

Just one mistake? Then welcome back to Canada

Does Canada's 'competency' reg for boaters apply to Americans?

Posted: Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:00 am

By Tim Spielman Associate Editor | 0 comments

Dryden, Ontario — Like hundreds of other resort owners and outfitters in northwest Ontario, Bob Paluch says his fishing lodge saw a significant drop in clientele when Canadian border officials a few years ago began a crackdown on Americans with past offenses, most notably drunk driving convictions. According to some, rejections at the border became more prevalent a few years ago when the United States instituted a passport requirement for re-entry to the States.

But a federal Canadian policy directive could lead this year to an influx of those with a single black mark on their records, those with one drunken driving offense, for example.

“We lost a lot of people; our business was hurt a solid 15 to 20 percent, said Paluch, owner and operator of Temple Bay Lodge on Eagle Lake in Ontario.

Others weren’t as fortunate, according to Gerry Cariou, executive director of Sunset Country Travel Association. Not only were more Americans turned away at places like International Falls and Baudette, but fewer hunters and fishers were heading to far-away locations thanks to high gas prices and a poor economy in general.

“I know that some businesses went out of business because of (the loss of a certain tourist segment),” Cariou said, adding that revenues at some smaller resorts and lodges previously was just clearing expenses.

“We probably lost a lot of people (anglers, hunters) permanently, but probably 80 percent of those turned away fell into that (one offense) category.”

Under current Canadian law, one conviction is the same as four, and it doesn’t matter if that conviction occurred last month, or last decade. But now, federal officials in Canada say, an exemption will make it possible for some of those with drunken driving convictions to visit the country to hunt, fish, or for any other reason – once.

The new directive was announced last week during a conference call led by Jason Kenney, Canada’s minister of Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism. The policy is part of a Tourism Facilitation Action Plan.

According to the TFAP, “Many tourists are stopped and denied entry at our borders because they are deemed inadmissible for having a minor criminal offense on their record. Often, these are outdated misdemeanors or minor infractions that took place decades ago.

“It is a dubious and intrusive rule,” the TFAP continues. “ … the current process for those refused is overly burdensome and requires substantial supporting documents and records that are not easily available. This rule results in millions of dollars in lost revenue from would-be tourists and has a negative bilateral effect.”

Greg Rickford, a conservative party member of Canada’s parliament, representing the Kenora District of Ontario, has pushed for the one-time exemption, until a long-term solution is found.

“As of March 1, this goes into full effect,” Rickford said earlier this week.

Rickford said he’s “championed the cause” on behalf of the tourism industry in northwest Ontario, but the rejection of some Americans with but one offense was felt elsewhere in the country, like British Columbia and in larger cities.

When elected in 2008, “I made it my personal agenda as a passionate fisherman” to help the Kenora-area resort industry, he said.

Minnesota fishermen and hunters might want to make the best use of the exemption possible: “If we don’t get a long-term policy in effect this year,” only once can people with minor convictions use the exemption to cross the border, according to Rickford.

“If you come back a second time, you must have the temporary documentation and $200 fee already dealt with,” he said, referring to the paperwork and fees required to enter the country following a conviction in the United States. In Canada, it’s often referred to as “rehabilitation” documentation.

Convictions considered “major” still may preclude entry of Americans to Canada. Rickford said the exemption is for those with “one singular minor offense, including a DUI, punishable by less than six months in jail.”

However, he added, “discretion still rests with the border guard (the CBSA, or Canadian Border Services Agency).

“In no way do we condone any criminal action,” Rickford said. “But we recognized the past mistakes of people.”

Cariou says it’s best for Americans entering Canada to be “up front” with border guards, and to be polite.

For now, those in the tourism industry are working to get those once rejected to come back to Canada.

“Obviously, it’s a good thing,” Cariou says of the new policy.

Rickford said federal officials in Canada intend to work with members of the tourism industry, resorters, and American counterparts to “reconcile” differences in border-crossing rules, and to eventually establish a long-term policy that’s acceptable to most involved in the issue.

“It’s unclear how long it will be until a long-term solution is found,” he said. “But it’s very much on our radar screen.”

Cariou said such a long-term policy is important. “It would be ridiculous if it goes back to the same thing next year; it would make the country look even worse,” he said.

Paluch believes the exemption will inspire several sportsmen with one-time, minor offenses to return to Canada to hunt or fish. In fact, he has an acquaintance who works with first-time DUI offenders in Minnesota – a new group each week. “And the number one thing that comes up is, ‘we can’t go to Canada anymore,’ ” he said.

For more information on requirements when visiting Canada, call 1-800-665-7567; for more on the latest policy, visit www.cic.gc.ca, Citizen and Immigration Canada.

The man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic. ~Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Sage

Re: Canada Lifts Strict Border Restrictions

So, if Canada doesn't allow all of our drunks into their country as tourists their tourism businesses can't survive! Perhaps we can get Canada to keep them.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Canada not wanting OUR drunks. What's that popping in my head ? Pot, Kettle, Black...

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Hey, drunks spend good money too. I cant blame them for wanting the business.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Sage

Hey, ya hoser!

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

so your saying john because i personally have a DUI i should leave the country and not come back.! hmm lets see i spent 15 years in a VDf and 14 in a VAS as an emt which every time i took a class i paid for a background search for the DOH clearing.

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Sage

Not what I said, it was sarcasm, should have used an icon. However, I have little sympathy for drunk drivers, I knew good people who are no longer with us because of them.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your right John, I too have lost friends, a family of 4, 32 years ago. That low life got 3 years and was out in 19 months, it was his 3rd DUI. DUI's are not delt with the way they should be. Hats off to Canada for keeping rif-raf out of thier country, they should teach this country a thing about it.

Go ahead Bash all you want.....that is all on that subject.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo
Canada not wanting OUR drunks. What's that popping in my head ? Pot, Kettle, Black...
I used to make several trips a year. My Canadian neighbors all had me stopping at duty free for them. The owner of the marina where I parked and launched from, wanted to be paid in Canadian Club. LOL..
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-06-2012, 12:21 AM
The Man

Used to spring bear hunt there in the 80's and enjoyed there Molsum.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page